dismantling frags

Discussion in 'Frags' started by zzzzzzzzpr, Jun 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

i got a few chalice, australian acanthastrea, and favia. is there a way to get them off the frag stone? if yes how. then could i glue the to non cured LR and place them where i want to in the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can if there is not too much attachment to the plug. Pry them off with a screw driver is my method. I would use cured LR unless the rock is quite small to prevent a mini cycle. I would suggest dry rock for mounting.

4. zzzzzzzzpr

i have a couple of of LR that i could break up to clue to hopely. now i know chalice need to be horzontal. would about favia and acanthastrea?
    i also have some zoas could i cut them at the bottom and clue them at another rock or should i cut the plate and clue the plate? also atm all my LR has algae on it could i use a toothbrush to scrub the algae off be4 clue them?

5. PR_Reefers

PR_Reefers Plankton

For chalices... you can just pry them off and attach!... Favia and acans if already attached to the rock will be more difficult as their skeleton attaches more readily to the live rock than chalices.... you would need a dremel with diamond tip or bandsaw to be able to remove them with their skeleton and a piece of rock underneath since they are harder to pry of like chalices once mature!

the zoas I wouldn't recommend cutting them off at the bottom! I've had much better success at detaching the base with a blade leaving some of the substrate it's attached to and glue this.... or you could cut and glue the plate as well!

hope this helps... there are tons of sites with pics and info and i've seen some nice videos on youtube also so.... gl :)

6. zzzzzzzzpr

the zoas i just drill holes in a big rock to mske a graden. the othr prird off easily and havent have any problise w/ them.

7. Tmobo

Tmobo T-Rev

I try to cut off as much of the plug as close to and from the base and or skeleton of the coral as possible with bone cutters.