disease of goldies

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by aquaboy, Oct 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Hello all,
    I have a question that i know may or may not be answered on a SW forum,
    bbbuuutttt...... my neighbor has or now sadly *had* a tank primarilly consisting of goldfish, or more correctly feeder goldfish, and tetras. Recently three have died in succesion and the two remaining goldfish and 3 tetras are breathing hard. Because i am not a freshwater wizard like SOME, cough..cough..not me..cough, of us are; i am asking if there is ANYONE who has the faintest idea of what this is.
    Water Params:

Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate-unknown
    *** a full water change was done yesterday, so i assume 0 for nitrate but did test nitrite, and can assume ammonia is 0 because it is a well established tank.

I am guessing that it is some sort of disease, and they were treated with melafix before, and recently some salt was added. Please help, because we all know people hate losing a fish; as i did 2 days ago, my beloved lawnmower blenny- Waldo. so i now ask myself "wheres waldo?"

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Pictures of the fish would help a lot. What do you mean by "full" water change. Changing all of the water kills the good bacteria needed in the tank. Also, how big of a tank are we talking about? Goldfish are one of the nastiest fish you can have, and if he has 2 goldfish left, he must have a had a few. I would put 2 goldfish in a 10g tank, maybe 1 unless you wanna change out the water frequently and over filter.

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

solved

well.... we solved it. i believe it was just lack of o2 in the water, and the 100% water change was more like 80% because she always leaves the gravel with about an inch or 2 of water so that doesn't happen. Oh yeah the goldies are about an 1" to 2". Overgrowing the tank isn't a problem though because she has a pretty large pond to put them in when they get large. Thanks for the concern and willingness to help though! its appreciated.

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

P.S she is getting new filter rated for a larger tank. and she has exatly 2 goldfish and it is a 10 gallon.