Discus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Oct 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I haven't been able to get an answer to " part of my post " so I am submiting a new thread. I have read that discus are social fish. I have 1 discus & 2 siamese algae eaters in my 36 gallon tank. Will the discus be healthy & happy on his own. He did have another discus up until yesterday. Somehow it wedged itself between a rock & the glass. Today my sole discus looks great & still has his appetite. What are your thoughts ?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Sorry for your loss oceansurf

there is no reason for the remaining Discus not to be healthy
    you need to do the obviuos things like ensure water quality is good and dont expose it to any potential problems, by putting new adds through a QT procedure but other than those and accidents, there is no reason why it should not live a long time

Happy - I dont know to be honest, I keep and have kept any number of single fish of 1 particular species, you have to with many in reef tanks ( 2 yellow tangs in a small tank would be asking for trouble, same for other tangs and Triggers etc as would 2 Maroon clowns - so in the reef world its accepted that unless you have a monster tank, 1 from many species is the most you can house ( and some of these fish we keep singularly, would be in massive schools in nature)

Ive never considered the fish as being unhappy, if thats any help?
    Sure I have deprived them of company of their own kind
    and by keeping them individually I have deprived them of their right to procreate

but I still dont think of them as unhappy to be honest

Steve

4. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

Thanks Steve,

Your comment has made me feel better. The last thing I want is an unhappy, unhealthy fish. I'll continue to keep my tank extremely clean & perhaps build a small community around my discus, very slowly , making sure it does not get too large & that it is full of peaceful, graceful fish just like my discus.

Thanks again Steve, You've made another fish keeper feel better.

1 person likes this.