Discus tank "Im a NewBe"

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by OverStocked, Aug 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok i have never had a fresh water tank before and i wanted to start a small discus thank with 2 discus fish (what ever kind i like at the LFS) and 10 neon tetras,5 glass cats and a blue crawfish. I also want the tank to be vary heavy stocked with plants.

I want a 2'' sand bed on the bottom.

Could someone give me a idea on how to start this ?

tank size ?
    cycle ?
    anything else i should know ?

Thanks Brandon

2. Click Here!

3. Kovu

Kovu Fire Worm

Discus need extremely good water to be healthy and happy. So I would say for two of them and the other fish you would be looking at a minimum of a 55 gallon aquarium. The only problem I see is the blue crawfish, discus like to sit around and dont move around a lot, it might bother the discus causing them stress.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I agree with Kovu no crawfish. Tank size suggestions are good. Your idea to have the tank well planted is good because it will help with water quality. Make sure and buy plants that can handle warmer water Discus like it around 82. You might want to get Cardinal Tetras instead of Neons. Cardinals like the warmer temps and softer water that Discus like.

5. OverStocked

The biggest tank i can fit on my night stand is a 20g would this be ok if can keep the water up ?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That would not work for Discus. You could do one with the other fish you have listed. The crawfish should be in a tank of its own. It will eat any of your fish it can catch.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Discus like to be kept in odd numbers. I wouldnt do less than three. No discus should be in a twenty gallon. If you choose to set up a 20 gallon tank make it a planted tetra tank. I love messing around with mine. Plants grow alot faster than corals so it seems rewarding much faster.

8. Click Here!

9. OverStocked

I saw a 15g planted tank at my LFS with a ex45 and 24x2 t5 and 2'' sand bed and some drift wood and it looked so nice.

It had a red and a bule discus and 3 angle fish and 5 neon tetras.

The guy said he dose 5g water changes ever week and feeds once everyday. The tank was 399.99 for everything.

This is vary close to what i want but i don't trust the metal stand its on.

Could i make this in a 20g ?

10. OverStocked

lets say next time i get paid if they still have it. How could you move the tank with out messing everything up.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

crawdads are the reef lobsters of freshwater.

12. OverStocked

what ?