Discus, Neons & Guppies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Jan 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

In a thicky planted tank ( top, middle & bottom ) could discus, neons & guppies make a community tank ? Could some of the guppy's babies actually survive with floating plants to hide in ?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

They are compatible in terms of disposition - there will not be any conflict between the species, although there are often minor scuffles between neons and on occasions male guppies do tend to be aggresive to other male guppies and if the tank is small this can result in damaged fins or worse

they are OK in similar water conditions although the live bearing guppies would be happier in slight more alkali water than the discuss but that said the guppies these days are so far removed from their original ancestors that they have adapted to survive in many different degrees of PH etc

I keep, Discuss, Neons and platties in the same tank with conditions favouring the Discuss and Neons (soft acidic water) and the platties seem healthy enough so I believe guppies would also

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I would set the tank up for the discus, the other fish are hardier.