Discus breeding

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by OverStocked, Oct 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

I have breeded nemos a few times but now I added more fish to my tank and the eggs just get eaten anyways I want to breed discus now. I don't know what kind I like but they are soild blue. Anyways I just got a 20H tank and 2 foam bubble filter things and two heaters to be on the safe side.

Ok I have painted the back black and I want to know if I could add a 1" sand bed and pour fiber glass resin over it so it will still be a BB tank but look like a SB tank.

Any thoughts ?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

few problems here
    1 - I bred Discuss and had 1 pair in a 4ft x 18 x 20 - they spawned often in that tank, particularly after a water change, which might have triggered some natural instincts ( rainy season)

Im not sure how comfortable a pair of breeding sized Discus would be in a 20 gallon tall tank, and as such Im not sure if you will encourage them to breed in there

the sand base with cover sounds workable to me, but you need to make sure you seal it well otherwise that sand is going to get pretty nasty and you wont be able to clean it

an alternative to this would be to paint the outside of the tanks base as that will also help reduce the unnatural appearance of the BB

Steve

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I believe a much larger tank is in order for breeding Discus an agree with Steve.

5. OverStocked

I was talking to a guy who breeds them in 20H tanks on simplydiscus and he said he's never had any problems but he did say to do wc of 5g ever 2 days but not ever day cause they won't spawn if there water is messed with everday. I know this dose not really make sence but it seems to work for him.

Could I just add 30lbs of super natural white sand or would it cause to much poo build up ?

Why should I add potted plants ?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry one more thing

I'm a little worried about using fiber glass resin in a fish tank.

6. OverStocked

I have spoke to one and have seen others that breed them in 20H tanks

7. steve wright

yes - the fibreglass resin is not something I have any experience with so I would not advise you to use it

the thing with the BB is its easier to keep clean. you can syphon it and remove all the detritus - a clean tank is not that important for breeding, but cleanliness is more important for protecting the eggs from fungus etc

potted plants , just add to the adult fishes feeling of security and thus may help them be settled enough to breed

Discus are a very shy fish, so even in a breeding tank you need some cover and potted plants offer a valid option when using BB tanks

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. OverStocked

I just did a test fill of the tank and I hate the form bubble filters. I not saying it won't do a good job but I don't like it.

Could I just put a HOB or canister filter with a sponge over the intake ?

10. steve wright

are the sponge bubble filters not removable?
    they are often used in fry set ups as they are not powerfull enough to suck the baby fish into

but a cannsiter or HOB on the other hand is a bit more powerful - but with a sponge on you may be OK

Steve

11. OverStocked

The tank is kinds tall but not wide so I want to use up as little space as possable.

12. OverStocked

What should I do for the sand/BB