Discus and angelfish combatability?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by norg., Aug 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hey guys. I plan on upgrading my 55 gallon planted tank to a 90 when time allows and I was going to house some discus in it. Right now my lfs has some locally raised discus that a gorgeous and have a decent price tag. I know they are schooling fish and Ive heard about up to 7 being kept in a 55 gallon tank. I was planning on starting with 3. The only problem is I have a female angelfish who has been around the majority of the tanks life. She is around 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. Will there be any issues with adding 3 very small discus? My water quality is pristine and I do water changes every few days with ro water.

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Angelfish are known to bully Discus specially with the size difference you are describing. That being said it may work out also as they have been kept together successfully. I would advise against it because the angel is established and larger.

4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

The discus will probably be around 2-3 inches when I get them. If there is any bad aggression issues I will probably get rid of my angel. There are alot of hiding places in the tank as well but I dont want to get a fish just for it to get bullied and hide.

5. sjnovakovich

sjnovakovich Bristle Worm

I have a 110 with 8 angels, 2 discus, 2 plecos, and ZERO problems. I say go for it.

6. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Dang. Thats alot of angels. Haha. Got any pictures? :)

7. sjnovakovich

sjnovakovich Bristle Worm

Actually, I haven't photographed the tank. I should do so because the fish look great in the tank. It's an Oceanic with a megaflow and a black back glass with starfire glass in the front. I have 2 pearl scale, 2 koi vail tail, 1 blushing, 1 silver veil tail, 2 solid black. The discus are 2 cobalts. All the angels are betwee 4 to 7 inches from nose to end of tail.

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Man. That sounds awesome. Im a big fan of both angels and discus.