Disappointed with Hanna checkers, all test kits in general really

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by jbraslins, Feb 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

So, I splurged for Hanna checkers. I bought Phosphate, Alk and Calcium ones.

Calcium one is the biggest disappointment. It's just so inaccurate and there's way to many ways to mess it up. RODI sample? Really? In retrospect, reviews did say it was not so good. I should have listened.

Phosphate one is about the only one that seems to work ok. But honestly I can't really check it against any other test kits, so who knows.

ALK is quick, but accuracy is questionable. I've tested my water and got reading of 7.5. Then I tested it with Salifer and Red Sea test kits and got 8.3 on both.

Then I took Saliferts reference solution bottle that claims liquid is at 6.7 DKH and tested it with Salifert and Red Sea. Got 6.7 DKH. Tested with Hanna checker, and got 5.99

*sigh*

New Red Sea test kits are nice, but a little inaccurate too.

Calcium consistently reads 60ppm more than Salifert and API test kits. My tank is at 440ppm, but I always get 500ppm reading with new Red Sea.

First bottle of ALK reagent for red sea was off by 1 DKH too. I got a refill bottle and that one is correct.

Just sad that it's such hit and miss.

END of rant.

2. Click Here!

3. jbraslins

P.S. I think Salifert is the way to goo so far. It's just the most consistent for me.

Also forgot to add, new Red Sea magnesium test kit tests 350ppm higher too.

I've had my water at 1350--1450 ppm per Salifert, but i got 1900 reading with new Red Sea.

So I mixed a new batch of D-D H2Ocean and perfect 1.025 salinity. Salifert yet again read at 1350, and Red Sea at 1800 something.

4. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

It looks like the Hanna ALK has a 0.7 dKH off-set (reads 0.7 low). Test that a few times to make sure it's consistent. If so, you should be fine as long as the Hanna checker gives you reproducible numbers.

Bummer that you have to mess with this, but if it saves you time, it might be OK to do the regular checks with it and then spot check with Salifert once in a while.

5. jbraslins

Makes sense. On another forum someone said to never trust level marks on vials or plastic syringes that come with kits. He said to invest into quality medical grade syringe and when you do that, all test kits become much more consistent. He also said hannna clearly admits that white line on their vials could be as much as 1ml off. I am gonna get me some good syringes for filling vials and drawing reagents.

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

+1 to the lines not being accurate and the syringes it comes with aren't trusty either.
    I use the calcium checker and it works perfect for me, I've tested it against regent sample from my seachem kit and it reads spot on.

I had problems at first with rodi water so i switched to distilled and found it works much better. Also make sure you clean the vials well, a little bit of dust or a fingerprint om the vial can askew the colorimter's reading.

7. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

is there an after market vial that has accurate lines? Kind of stupid to have a test kit that is sold this way

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I have a ton of syringes for this reason. I'm sure the ranch supply store (best place to get syringes) thinks I'm a junky

10. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

There was a thread on here somewhere posted by Dingo,said he sent a water sample out to be professionally tested from time to time to get a good comparison with his test kits.This seems like the only way to know how accurate they really are.It seems like even the more exspensive test kits are really only a reference point.