dirty sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Jeremy, Jan 27, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i was just wondering, is everybody's sand dirty, like does it have this grey sort of stuff sitting on the top layer?

coz mine does. i was wondering if this could be the result of my stupid cuzin dropping about 100 shrimp pellets into the tank. how can i clean it? also, i don't seem to have many critters in my sand. should i buy some, or is it that i haven't had the sand long enough (6 months)?

any help would b most appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

100 pellets will do it!

I'd get a gravel siphon and do a nice water change, using the siphon to suck that stuff off the sand. You can control the strength of the siphon by pinching the hose. That way you won't suck the sand out either.

You should get pods in your sand eventually. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, check out some of the detrivore links on the sand page of the site. They offer nice packages of that stuff, but it ain't that cheap.

matt

4. Jeremy

yeah 100 is alot i guess! but that was ages ago, like when i first put the sand in. but ill siphon it and do a water change.

thanks heaps

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No problem. Good luck. :)

6. Jeremy

yeah, i sucked all that scum, and the sand looks half decent now! by the way, im gonna add another 10 kg to the sand bed. does anybody know haw many pounds in a kilogram? anybody?

cheers.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

for your sand maby look for a fighting conch or to they do a great job on the sand, also maby a star of some type, nassarious snails, or try and get a piece of rock or live sand with a spagetti worm or 2 they pick up anything laying on the substrate and eat it also they multiply pretty fast. if you check out the det kits they sell them also

10. Jeremy

11. Michel

Michel Plankton

1 Kg equals 2.2lbs my friend !
    When are you guys gone go metric ??? :) :)