Dirty peppermint Shrimp!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Aqualung, Sep 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

What other coral did they eat?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This is not the first time that I've heard about peppermint shrimp bothering/eating corals so I guess it's the luck of the draw when you purchase them.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my royal gramma (may he burn :devil:) ate my peppermints... might want to try one of those evil fish?

:)

1 person likes this.
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This suggestion reminds me of that "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" song :lol:

6. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

LOL! My Coral Banded Shrimp has been after him for days.. I pulled off a couple of the Peps legs and antenna trying to catch him with a net and tongs.. He's still kickin though! Cut back on feeding so CBS has been chasing him around the tank the past few days. I'm stuck at work.. will try to catch him again tonight

7. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

They were pretty good size. They ate some acans I had, and just like you said in one nioght they ate 2 heads off a austalian candy cane I had.

I came up with the same crap you did. I did tons of I-net search and got all the same answers. Sure it's not a camel etc.... tons of threads where people say they have never seen or heard of peppers eating corals.

I first hand saw them eating the coral, I also removed them from the tank and have yet to have anything get eatin......

Oh yeah they ate 2 of my brain corals (trachphyllia however it's spelled)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

i also had issues with peppermint shrimp and corals. and everybody told me i was stupid and it was a camel, but it was definitly a peppermint. he not only killed corals but some of my other shrimp. i hated that thing till the day he died.

1 person likes this.
  10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I had a problem with my peppermint going after my torch. He was pretty hardcore, actually chewed a couple tentacles off. He was banished to my sump, where he was quickly blended and skimmed (accident).

1 person likes this.
  11. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Sure it was an accident! LOL. Funny thing is I've been praying for him to get sucked into my sump like one of my other pep shrimps did a couple weeks ago.

12. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

LOL. I had 3
    1 is now missing. 1 I found stuck in the impeller of my powerhead and the other guy is now in my sump chilling. Didn't have the heart to flush him and am too lazy to take him to the LFS.

I just reached into my tank grabbed the rock he was under fulled it out of the water netted the jerk and dropped him in the sump. I could care less if he lives or not. As long as he is banished to the sump it's all good for me :)