Dirty peppermint Shrimp!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Aqualung, Sep 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

The other night I found my 2" Peppermint shrimp picking at my pink birdsnest. It was all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. The polyps were retracted for over a day, but now theyre out again, but it's missing a small patch of polyps. Next I notice my candycane was retracted. So I tested.. water was fine, but I mixed a fresh batch of water. Later that night I saw the same fat head pep shrimp pickin at the candy cane. It's skeleton was showing at this time.. not it's a skeleton. I noticed it wasn't looking like it usually was.. I'm thinking it irritated the coral till it died and then ate it. It killed 3 heads, I have 7 left now they're lookin irritated. I'm trying to get this jerk out of my tank now. WTH!

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Mmmm....cupcakes :D

Good luck getting the shrimp out. Shouldn't be too difficult?

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

maybe set up a trap

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Probably a misidentified camel shrimp.

6. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

I had the same problem with pepperments. I live in SOCAL and have heard from a few LFS that there are alot of pepperment shrimp that come from L.A. that will eat corals. Guess where mine came from?

They say make sure you get tank raised peppermints. Mine are out of the tank and I have 1 in my fuge.

7. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

That's what I though pack.. Definately not a Camel.. he is a biggin though.. and his number is up.. listen carefully for the toilet flush. Actually if I catch him.. he'll go back to the store..

8. Click Here!

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I'm hpoing mt CBS eats him.. cuz he hates that shrimp..lol "In this corner!"

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

that was my thought as well. Not good.

11. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

If you ask me a camel shrimp looks nothing like a peppermint. I never had any issues with my corals till I added 3 pepperments to my tank. They ate the aptaisa then decided my candycane coral and some others would make for a good meal, I never knew what was eating these corals till lights out, bam they were all over my corals. I took those bastards out right away.

12. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Yeah wow! Yeah they're definately not Camel shrimp.. Were your Peps large or small. I couldn't believe it! Decimated 3 heads of Candy Cane in a day! Jerk! I'm not glad, but I feel reassured this happened to someone else.