Dinoflagellates or Calothrix?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Blue Falcon, Nov 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

So far its only growing on my powerheads and return pipe. Im about to manually remove this before it spreads but would like to know what it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Is that the only place it is growing. In my experience with dino, it also grew off the the LPS and tips of the sps.

I would manually remove it from the powerheads and see how quickly it comes back. Dino comes back very quickly.

Maybe John from ReefCleaners will take a look.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Cant help with a definite ID
    But totally agree that if its power heads or equipment affected

then what I do (with any algaes growing on powerheads) is to remove them, scrubb them with a scotch pad and immerse them in boiling water for a few minutes and then scrub again

Steve

5. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

the dino i had looked darker brown but my lights are not quite as blue as yours if its just on the power heads scrub the piss out of them

so far im 1 week dino free if it stays gone a month ill share my secret lol . i would hate to give bad advice but so far my tank has never looked so good and i counted 20 more heads on my corals i thaught were goners

6. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

i just dealt with what looks like the same thing about a month ago. it gets bad but does go away quickly. i did wc's about every 2 or 3 days. i no longer have it and everything seems to be fine. mine turned into gha before it went away. good luck i hope it is as easy for you as it was for me.

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

k well i cleaned it off we will see if it comes back. funny thing is my tank is over a year old and this just showed up and i havnt added or changed anything. :/
    Time to change my refugium lamp? haha

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

not dinos, it is probably some species of cyano although not necessarily a calothrix spp. some lyngbya spp. look like that too

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Ditto.... most likely several genus/species of algae clumped together.

11. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Thanks guys. Its been a few days since I scrubbed it off my powerheads and it hasnt came back yet. (crossed fingers).