Dilema for a refugium set up , need your help

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Flyariv, Apr 7, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

Dear All

have a look at the video so u can see the tank i was planning to make a mangrove root refugium tank display which will serve a a refugium connected to the main display.

I hesitate if to connect the 2 tanks , or just use it as a QT , as i still want the tank to be a display,
    what would be the safest way to do it without have to much trouble of maintanance and risks of flood.?
    qt tank , or refugium ?

in case of a refugium , i though to get a CPR overflow box , but i am not sure how to connect it to the tank , any suggestion ?

2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

To be honest if you want to do mangrove like that I'd go big as a troph or even a tube. Reason being is that the mangroves tend to get tall and toot out pretty well. For effective use I would use those for letting them root out as much as possible, which would be ideal. I don't know to much about mangroves so don't quote me on anything. I'll let some one whose more brainy then I am.

Edit: also I found that if you're tank is doing fine and doesn't need anything at all, it's best to just leave it be and keep doing the same thing you've been doing. If it's not broken don't fix is. Just some food for thought.

4. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

thx Sataly, appreciated and agree with you on '' dont change something that works"
    looking for more advices

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

From what I understand about mangroves, they really don't export a very good amount of nutrients. I had been looking into it but found this as a common theme. If you are wanting them because they are a cool plant, by all means go for it because they would be neat to have.

Flyariv likes this.
  6. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

i thought instead of drilling , to purchase one of cpr overflow box, my main concern is not the reliability of the product , but looking for at a safety net , what would u recommend in case the overflow drain get stuck with debris or algae, should we have another drain as a backup ? what would u recomment to ensure safty ?
    >

7. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Gosh, you would never add a new fish or coral then?

8. Click Here!

9. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

actually Windy , it's an open wound issue, i just lost all my fishes recently due to ich outbreak, after more than 2 years old fishes were healthy , true the reef tank needs to be built, but actually with my personnal experience in the last 5 years , even if you dont have much fish or corals, all live stock grows with time and change , the fished make their own little piece of space in the tank , and even by adding a small goby you can create stress in an already very delicate balance we need to acheive....