Difference between cyclops and cyclopeeze?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by jdameli1, Aug 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Apparently in my area there is a major shortage of cyclopeeze..... 3 of my regular Lfs are out, I did see cyclops in the frozen section is it similar?

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I always though cyclops was supposed to be "short" for cyclopeeze. haha

4. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

I have the sanfrancisco bay brand cyclops and I wondered the same thing. It must be the same because my anthias go NUTS over it and my corals love it as well! My sps eat it like mad!

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Cyclops is not even close to as good as cyclopeeze. Honestly it is a big difference between the two

6. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Not that I doubt you by any means, but could you expand a little?

Knowledge is power as they say. ;D

7. melonz

melonz Astrea Snail

i honestly thought they were the same as well lol.

right now, im using one of the two. whatever it is, if its working, im happy :)

but now that you brought up this questiong, im curious as well

8. Click Here!

9. sucker_fish

sucker_fish Astrea Snail

cyclopeeze is a registered trademarked brand name, cyclops is the type of pods they are.

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Cyclops are a one-eyed decopod that is high in protein, low in waste, and high in HUFAs. As stated, due to patent and copyright laws, only Argent can use the word cyclopeeze. I've never done a nutritional comparison but I have reason to believe that cyclopeeze is more nutritious. One thing I do know for sure, cyclopeeze has a much higher concentration of the cartenoid astaxanthene. When I got my dispar anthias, the store was out of cyclopeeze so I used regular cyclops (as well as microcrabs). They were beautiful fish, especially when the actinics were on too. When the cyclopeeze came back in stock, I obviously switched over to my preferred brand. Their colors "popped" within 2 weeks. At the store, sometimes the clownfish come in looking light orange as opposed to the darker hue (that most customers want). Feed them cyclopeeze a couple times a day and their coloration changes quickly (plus they are healthier because Astaxanthene serves a whole lot more purposes than just pigments). It's a lot cheaper for the store to supplement HUFAs via cyclopeeze and PE mysis rather than soak their foods in Selcon, Vita-chem, etc.

1 person likes this.