did you know....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Swisswiss, Feb 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

fish yawn? i have seen one of my gobies act similarly but i always thought of it more of stretching reaction that an actually yawing. it seems however that some species actually really do yawn.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

get out! I see my goby do that as well, did not realize it was a yawn. Too funny! I guess I must bore the socks off him because he usually "yawns" when I come up to the tank

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well that shots the evolution theory out the window.

I read some silly thing years ago that tried to infer that the reason when you see one person yawn is because when cave men where traveling in groups the leader/head caveman would yawn do signal to the other cave persons to stay alert. Called contagious yawning.

Thank You, Cavemen, For Teaching Us How to Yawn — Health Check - TSM Interactive

Any who I think your fish is just messing with you. :laughings

5. Swisswiss

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have seen fish aggression in the form of posturing, when another fish would swim into my RG territory he would come out with mouth open. My goby did the same thing with my clown. Who ever has the larger oral cavity is the most fierce.

It would seem that yawnings primary function is to increase blood flow to the cranial area and improve oxygen consumption.

I read the part about the Siamese fighting fish though.

One of my cats yawns all the time at me, I figured she was just bored with me.

7. Swisswiss