Did you drill your tank?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Did you drill your tank?

1. Yes.

36.1%
  2. No.

63.9%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Gresham is supposed to come over today and bring me some acrylic drill bits and stuff to drill out my 75 show tank. Should be cool. I haven't drilled out a tank in years.

Did you drill your tank? How did it go?

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I drilled 4 holes in a glass 45G stretch hex. Worked out really well.
    I'm currently getting 12 holes drilled in my new 370G. I'm not doing the work but the LFS owner that is told me it's taking 4 hours per hole. (the glass is 2 5/8 laminated together)

I have also drilled my acrylic sump and a DIY Skimmer all worked out really well.

J

4. GINNY

GINNY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Drill

drilled a tank 5 years ago for a friend it went well .GO SLOW ! ! My tanks have overflows . I like the way thay work . they have never failed me .:) I make all of my overflows . never had one fail me.

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I have drilled all my tanks for except one (didnt have a sump). Just makes the overflow safer (no loss of syphon) and nothing ugly hangs in or out the tank. IMO its the way to go. ;D I usually have the LFS or a glass shop do it... Those glass drill bits are way to expensive for the use i would do with them.

Marc.

6. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey Matt,
    I put 16 holes in my 150 for the closed loop and overflow plumbing. It was my first attempt at tank drilling. No probs. Just lay out holes and doubble check bulkhead size as to have room for fit. I had new hole saws so they would bind easily if not drilled straight. Go slow and ease up on pressure when hole is almost through. Make sure you have a drill with a side handle to stabalize. Can't wait to see your tank.:thumbs_up
    Scott

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Didn't drill the 30g, but I know I will with the next setup.

8. Click Here!

9. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

I drilled my new 20g sump. I will be posting pics soon. M lacom99, you can find the drill bits very cheap in price on ebay. They work great, its a guy from china i think.

10. j whale

j whale Plankton

drilling tanks

A drilled tank with bulkheads is the only way to go.Drilled 45 gallon for 6 1inch bulkheads 2 drains 2 close loops turned out great. Bought my bit through diamond tool. Used water for lubrication. The bigger the tank the easier it is. Takes a little longer. Also drilled a 20 gallon and a 5 gallon. The 5 gallon was the trickiest.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I did it!

Well I had a BUSY weekend. I finally drilled out my tank for my big ass turtle and hooked up the wet/dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was intense! I am happy now though! 8)

WHAT I LEARNED:

1) PLAN EVERYTHING. I didn't think much about the drain and it took 3 attempts to come up with my solution. Thank God it worked or you would have to call me out of the trees. Sunday was a long day.

2) Skil's wood/plastic hole saws really work in acrylic! Worth the price for the set.

3) A 3" hole saw requires a 1/2" chuck! My drill was 3/8" so I had to get an adapter.

4) Mask both sides with masking tape and score both sides before going all the way through. That seemed to help. I didn't even have to sand it smooth. Drill pilot holes first.

5) Buy a PVC pipe cutter. I ended up using mine a lot.

THANKS FOR EVERYBODY'S ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!! :)

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Very Cool Matt I've never seen a turtle that had it soo good. Can you get a full tank shot. I have red eared sliders years ago. Got them when I was 10 and they even went to college with me. Now they live in a great little petting zoo in my home town. (Went to visit then last summer)

J