Did you check to make sure your stand was level before filling your aquarium?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Did you check to make sure your stand was level before filling your aquarium?

1. Yes.

52 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. No.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  1. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

LOL I love your nic...

2. Click Here!

3. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

I was naughty. I did not check. It is almost level. It's a 15 gallon so I didn't think it mattered much. I will level it when I get another tank.

4. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

Amen to that Otty. At least 4 times.

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Definitely. I have a concrete slab floor and checked before filling, halfway through filling, and after the fill. Dead level all the way no shims needed.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

level and plumb. we had to do the whole house when we moved in before renovation. the house was sliding to the left back and the center was sinking. we used jack and levels it. so yes, put a level on it and do about monthly or whenever I'm walking through with the level.

7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I built my stand and made sure floor was even and was ready to jack up floor if need be but weight distrabution was perfect.

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I could have done without this thread. My tank is leaning about 3/16 to a quarter to the front. I knew it would put a bind on the center brace but did'nt think it would be enough to break it or cause the tank to leak. It is only a 55 gallon 48 long. Ya got me worried now...thnx....

10. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

I leveled mine as much as possible. It is probably off just a hair. I did have a friend with a 180g and he made his own stand. Came home one day about a year after he set it up to a house full of water. It blew the glass right out. He said it was very level but he thinks that one of his corners was off where the tank sat on the stand. It is the only time I heard of a tank exploding but showed me how important leveling is

11. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I checked empty, and checked after filling and got it perfect. Then it shifted a little so I shimmed some more (it is sitting on new carpet w/ 8 lb. padding so I am guessing that is why it settled so much). Then we had a minor earthquake and it shifted again. Got it level and it is now a hair off. I don't want to put a tank on carpet again:p, especially new carpet!!

I also put braces in the crawl space under the stand with cinder blocks and 4X4's. Anyone else do this?? Even a 55 gallon is overloading your floor joist for what they are made to withstand as far as weight per square foot is concerned...

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, when I first got into the hobby....No. I did not. Didn't know it mattered.

However, when I modded my tank stand to fit the 90g. I did.

So the answer here is Yes and No. I tagged No on the polls.