Did You Adjust Your New RO Filter Flow Restrictor?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Did You Adjust Your New RO Filter Flow Restrictor?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting. So should I infer that warmer water temp will result in lower ratios? Maybe I should have waited to calibrate? :p

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't like that mine only comes out/hooks into the coldwater supply line.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I don't believe I've seen one that uses both. Perhaps the KISS principle is in play here.

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Yes warmer summertime water change the waste ratio slightly. If you have big swings in water temps you may want two capillary tubes, one for summer and one for winter. If the temp variance is not that big trim it for a happy medium. I use a single restrictor here in Phoenix since our surface wate rsources actualkly don't change much winter to summer.

It is high discouraged to hook to both hot and cold, or lend/temper your incoming water. The problem is anything over 113 degrees will damage a RO membrane. Remember being in the shower when someone flushed the toilet or started the clothes washer? You got scalded! Same thing happens with the membrane so its best to stick with cold wate ronly and boost pressure if the output is not sufficient, booster pumps are available for this purpose.

6. jdak

jdak Astrea Snail

What if you flush the membrane every time before you use it?

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Membrane flush kits have no proven value. For them to provide any possible benefit you need to flush at the end of a cycle every time you make water, not the beginning but even then nothing has been documented about their benefit. I don't have one and frankly feel all they do is lighten your wallet. Keep your waste ratio at 3-4:1 and you get all the flushing you will need.

8. Click Here!

9. jdak

jdak Astrea Snail

You don't need a kit. Just take the restrictor off the waste line. That stops the pressure around the membrane and all water is flushed through the waste line.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

There is no need to do any additional flushing if you keep your waste ratio at the recommended 4:1 rate.

11. jdak

jdak Astrea Snail

But i believe it is recommended to flush before every use to "flush" the water out that has been sitting in each sump. I have officially pumped over 500 gallons of RO/DI water at a 2:1 ratio with 0ppm all the way. I do believe a 4:1 ratio isn't completely necessary and maybe a waste of water.

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

It will eventually catch up to you. Membranes are meant to last years not months. 18 to 36 months on average. Yours will probably be in the 18 month or less range depending on your water conditions and amount processed. More frequent membrane replacements contribute to the long term cost of ownership. If mine lasts 5+ years and yours lasts 18 months or less who has the cheaper unit 5 years down the road? Its also the cost of DI replacements too since a more efficient, read better flushed at 4:1, will produce lower final TDS and higher GPD since its surface is not fouled.
    None of the major vendors recommends flushing on start up other than to flush TDS creep away before it hits the DI. The problem is many of us automate our systems so we have no idea when they start and stop so the 4:1 waste ratio is critical to membrane life.