Did I show you my new Blue Carpet Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Jay, Sep 24, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good Morning 3reefers ;D

I'm not sure if I showed you my new anemonies yet. I got this blue one and another big green carpet anemone that is in my other tank. Im pretty happy with them:) They are really fun to look at. My Clownfish ( that already hosts in a big sebae anemone ) started making over the blue one b4 it even had a chance to inflate and bury its foot in the sand. I had to sit there and keep scaring the clown away just so the anemone had some peace to burt its foot and get used to the new tank. What a little love-bird that clown is. I also had this white anemone crab that was hosting in my biggest frogspawn for the last 3-4 months. When I added the anemone within 1 hour the crab was looking down from its perch at the anemone like theres my new home. The next time I looked he was sitting there on the anemone. The clownfish was hearding off the crab...which would just move to the underside of the anemone. Eventually Bozo ( My clowns name ) moves to her other sebae anemone and the crab resumes his post on top the anemone. I guess Im just excited to have such beautiful things in my aquarium.

Heres some pictures

Jay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Beautiful- how big is your anemonie when it is fully extended?

4. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Oh about 7-8 inches. I moved it from my tank with the halides to this tank with the 4 VHO bulbs. Im thinking that was a mistake. I know they require very high lighting but my green one that I got at the same time had started bleaching and shrinking in the tank with the halides. I have since figured this is from going from a tank with 400 watt bulbs but they were about 4 feet off the tank and imo not as bright as my 250 watt XM 10000k bulbs, to my ultra-bright 250 watt with 65 watt actinic pc lights. I think the anemone was shrinking and bleaching because the lights were too bright, I need to acclimate them to the lights so I have some cardboard with holes punched in it over him now. He has expanded back out but is still a brownish green. I keep feeding him everyother day. When he starts to color up and I know how to acclimate them I will move the blue one back for permenent. Does anyone else have any advice about this? Am I doing the right thing here?
    I have been reading all over wetwebmedia.com learning everything I can. They are supposed to be the hardest anemone to keep ( Carpets ) and recomended expert only. I knew they were difficult but for 80 bucks for the two anemones I couldnt resist. The guy I bought them from was tearing down his tank and wanted rid of them asap.

Whew:uneasy:

Jay

5. bouraganes

Keep that rascal well fed or you may end up wondering were your fish went- lol- the good thing about carpets is THEY DON'T CRAWL ALL OVER THE REST OF YOUR CORALS like some of thier cousins! Enjoy!

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Feeding the anemone won't keep it from killing fish as they cannot turn off their ability to fire off nematocycts.

The anemone is absolutely gorgeous. Good luck with it!!

7. bouraganes

Thanks for the heads up Amcarrig. Hey Jay here is a nice site on carpet anemones and it includes a nice slide show with some great photos!
    ReefSlides - May '04 - Carpet Anemones
    Anyway I hope you enjoy your new "baby"

8. Click Here!

9. QTYPIE424

QTYPIE424 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wow.... I love it...Looks awesome!!!
    Q

10. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

That is beautiful. I saw a red one on ebay with the high bid at $420.

11. bouraganes

Hey Jay how is your Blue Carpet doing?