Did i miss my cycle?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by charbel101, Dec 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. charbel101

charbel101 Astrea Snail

Okay im here again im the one with 15 gallon saltwater tank that it's been up for 1 month and 3 weeks ago but the thing is i added 1 domino damsel fish from 3 weeks ago to kick my cycle but i didn't have my test kits back then so from 2 days ago my domino damsel died :l then i got my api test kits and i did a test my ammonia are 0 ppm and nitrite are 0 ppm and my nitrate are 10 ppm what does that means ? is my cycle done? did i miss it?

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Sounds like it. I'd play it safe and wait a week or two with more testing before you add new fish.

Also I advise against using fish to cycle for two main reasons:
    1. Its not fair to the fish, especially when it dies.
    2. those Damsels can be a pain in the butt trying to catch later when they become hostile towards other tank mates.

HTH

4. charbel101

charbel101 Astrea Snail

I did learn this the hard way sadly :/ But that means i missed my cycle :/ when my domino damsel dies my ammonia got i think to the toxic level but everything changed fast cz it's a small tank and i wasnt testing :/

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

What do you mean "missed" your cycle?

cycle being over = time to add fish and eventually corals.

By the way, it wouldn't hurt to do a water change.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Your cycle really never ends as the bacteria wax and wane with the amount of food Available. It is likely the cycle burned the gills of your fish which eventually killed it. I would ghost feed the tank and check ammonia and nitrite levels stain. If you don't see either and nitrates are present you are good for one or two small fish. If nitrates are higher then 5 i would do a small wc first.Remember to feed sparingly for a few weeks as the bacteria that convert nitrite grow slower then the ones that convert ammonia.