Did I Just Kill my Watchman Goby?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Astrick117, May 24, 2013.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

This morning, after moving my Midas Blenny to my new tank last night, I found it fighting with my YWG that was already in the tank. I LOVE my Midas Blenny, so I decided to move the YWG out of my new tank this morning into my 40g breeder until I can find someone to take him.

The problem is that the Magnesium in the 40g breeder is elevated to 1600 because of fighting a Bryopsis outbreak and I did not have time to properly drip acclimate, though I did temp acclimate.

Should I expect a dead goby when I get home from work tonight?
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

... Simple answer, no....

Gobies are reasonably resilient creatures, and the flow won't effect it in the slightest bit
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree that I would expect all to be fine.
  5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

It isn't flow that Im worried about- its the Magnesium levels at 1600 PPM which is roughly 300PPM higher than the tank i took him out of. Sorry- should have been more clear.
  6. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

Haha!! Actually, you were very clear... I guess it was so early I though you said you were worried because a Maxijet was pushing 1600 (gph) !!!
    (So silly of me, I see Ma- and didn't even read the rest of the word)

As far as Magnesium levels, I have never heard of excess magnesium killing a fish. People only typically worry about them in breeding systems or systems with extensive corals who are having problems maintaining Ca/Alk levels.

My guess is still that he should be fine
  7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

yeah dude they are pretty hardy, i would expect all to be fine. the first several years of my hobby i never really properly acclimated fish as i did not know the correct procedure. and all of them turned out fine for the most part. so i wouldnt worry too much.
  8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Ok cool- I just didn't have time this morning as I was rushing out to work and knew I had to do something or I was going to have a dead fish regardless (not good, obviously) and if it was my Midas Blenny- I would NOT have been happy.