Did I install my lights correctly?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JupiterSailfish, Jul 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

tank is a 40 gal breeder its i think 17-18 inches deep,and you can see by the pics everything is 2/3 to1/2 way down iam not saying pc is great just some people say you cant have any coral growing under them are wrong the lps in the tank are thriving and coral like galaxia need good light as do the bubble and hammer the shrooms and other soft dont need that much light i agree but to say you cant have nice coral under pc is incorrect my other tanks use 250 hqi mh and i would rather have mh instead of t5

2. Click Here!

3. WCW

WCW Feather Duster

doh...after reading all these posts, I'm wondering if I jacked up. I traded a t5 glo system 2x54w for a 4x65w pc w/lunar light system. ??? This is on a 110g tank, 5ft long and 19"wide and tall. I'm taking it from reading all this I still need more light.........:confused:

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

all depends on whats in the tank

if it's FOWLR it's fine, if you intend on keeping coral yeah you need more light, honestly on anything longer than 48" your best to go with a MH retro kit

5. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Umm yeah ! Although the t-5 glo is better than the pc fixture, there are far better t-5 fixtures than the glo. If getting T-5 make sure each bulb has individual reflector. ;D

.: Sunlight Supply - horticulture and aquarium lighting systems :. Website

Notice the reflector? How it's sectioned for each individual bulb? Way better T-5 fixture than glo. Jmo Good luck.

6. WCW

WCW Feather Duster

I've several (too many! it keeps fragging) pieces of Kenya tree, couple different Zoas and mushrooms right now. I just talked to one of my LFS' and he swears up and down there's no proof that pc stops penetrating at 12". What's crazy is the other LFS I go too is telling me due to watts per gallon that I'm good to go with PC's, but he did tell me about this fixture 48 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 8x54W T5HO with 4 Lunar Lights (48in Units )

I'm thinking this might be a good bet. I told one of them about what I've been reading on here and he )(*&&*##%(^ lol ;)

7. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Ollie,
    Where did you find a 5ft tank? I'm looking to upgrade my 55 gal and the dimensions of your tank seem nice. I think a 6ft long tank might be overkill in my house.

I usually stay out of this topic, but I'm running 4x65w pc on my 55 gal. and the finger leather, zoas, frogspawn, LPS, and surprisingly goniopora are all doing well under them. (not worth to mention shrooms and chili coral for light requirement reasons). Now maybe they'd be twice as big under T5 or MH, but I didn't want to dish out the $$$ for the MH or T5 setup for this tank, when I know I'll be upgrading anyway.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral/lps-growth-more-50091.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral/goniopora-growth-pics-50087.html

10. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

Soon I will upgrade to a 75 to 100 gallon reef tank that will run the gamut of creatures.

As a newbie, here is what I have deduced from all the info I have read here on 3Reef.

I will definitely go MH. No question about that.

11. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

12. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

bogie: its not me w/5 ft tank its wcw mine is a 40 gal 36 inch long