Did I install my lights correctly?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JupiterSailfish, Jul 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

sorry to say take those back i know it a pain but lighting and skimming are two things you should never go cheap on. if your not dead set on t5s id tell you to get a MH its the most visually appealing lighting there is.

2. Click Here!

3. icedgxe

icedgxe Spaghetti Worm

As others have said it really depends on which direction you are going to go with the tank but I would have to agree that you should try some t-5's or halides if they are in your budget. It will give you a broader range of corals that you will be able to keep and you will most likely be more satisfied.

4. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

I agree they either don't know what they are doing or just wanted to get rid of those lights and make a sale. Which is both bad. Imo you should ditch the canopy. It limits your options because of the 351/2 instead of the tanks full 36. Better gas exchange with it off as well. Heat will be problem with beefy lighting too. If you are dead set on the canopy check these out.

Metal halide retro.

http://http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1325

Actinics retro

http://http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~ICK362.html

5. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

Dman it! I'd have to check to make sure, but I'm pretty sure they are non-returnable. What if I put two T-5's in the space in the back along with the PC's?

I(my parents too) didn't want to do the MH's because of having to get a chiller along with the lights. I could take the canopy off, but I liked the looked with it and not so much the open tank. I don't care too much about hard corals, just fish and soft corals.

6. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

What Brandon said...

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

If you can't take them back, consider it a lesson well paid for. You will never ever again come to a decision on your own regarding your reef tank, only to have your mind changed for you by someone with no interest in your reef tank.

I've been going to a certain LFS for more than 20 years. When I told him I was looking for a T5 fixture, he said he "had something else in mind." When I got there, he showed me a PC fixture and said, "I'd like to see you in something like this."

He was speechless when I outlined the differences b/w the two types of lights and made him realize that a PC purchase would be insane. I don't go there as much anymore. His loss.

Moral of the story? Educate yourself on these boards, ask questions, get confirmation from those who have no ulterior motives (like other hobbyists who have no chance on opening your wallet), and follow through with YOUR PLAN.

8. Click Here!

9. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

I am a little confused. I followed the links but the arithmetic doesn't jibe.

If he puts in 4 PCs then he has 4 x 65 watts = 260 watts.

If he goes with T5 HO from current then he is looking at 30 inch bulbs on a retro fit or:

8 x 24 watts = 192 watts Remember - He can't fit 36 inch bulbs in there.

If wattage is the key then how do the T5s win?

Maybe he should just put a MH in the middle of the PCs and run them 4 hours a day?

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

You could add a couple of T5 for now and as money permits replace the PC's with more T5's. This would give you more light now for not allot of money.

If I am not mistaken a what is considered a 36 inch bulb is actually only 34 inches from end of pin to end of pin. which means even with end caps you should be able to fit a 36: bulb into a 35 1/5 inch space. I have a 48" retrofit and from end to end including caps it is only 47" long.

But since you already have the PC's I would add a 150 or 175 watt MH light. As far as needing a chiller you should be able to use fans to keep the heat manageable. If the back of you cover isn't open your going to want to either put a couple of vent holes in the back or do as I did and put 2 fans in one to blow in and one to blow out. If this is done you should see very little raise in temperature with those bulbs.

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Watage is not the key anymore, its the type of light that they put out.

I have that same tank and PC do not go deep enough to do any good at the bottom of the tank.

12. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

So how does the T5 light get down lower or differently than a PC?