Did I install my lights correctly?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JupiterSailfish, Jul 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

I had my mind pretty much set on T-5's, but my local store talked me into SunPaq Power Compacts. Right now I have two 65watts (I thought they ordered me the 95 watts:angry:) so I'm planning on adding another 65 watt in so I have around 3 watts per gallon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

What type of coral do you intend to keep?

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

tank looks familiar 58g oceanic I'm betting?

Dunno personally I run 234 watts of t5's over that size tank they do great, PC's you wont be able to keep much of anything as far as coral, if it's going to be a FOWLR it's fine though

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Not enough watts for that size of a tank for corals. in my opinion....

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Return them to your LFS and take your business elsewhere.

7. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Dont' listen to your LFS. In the past I did, and boy was that a mistake. Ask questions here, there are alot of very knowledgeable people willing to help. Return those PCs and get yourself some T5's

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Pc's are ok for a small tank if you push enough watts IMO... But for a larger tank you need t5's or mh....

10. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

That's the thing, I can only fit lights under 35 1/4". All I can find is 24" and 36". I've seen some 30", but they are only putting out like 48 watts.
    Champion Lighting & Supply :: Lighting :: T5 Fluorescent :: Current Nova Extreme High Output T5 FixtureX2 :: Nova Extreme 30" T5 HO 2 x 24 watt

I can't figure out this lighting stuff. Am I wanting watts or do I have to find a certain light. I was comparing the Power Compacts to the T-5's at a store and the Power Compacts are putting out more watts and they are smaller.

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Take back the Compacts, you will not be happy with them...

All a 30 inch fixture is, is a 24inch fixture with a 30 long housing thats why they only put out 24 watts a bulb. If you want to keep SPS or clams you are going to need T5's or Halides.

Non of those fixtures will work under that nice hood you have. You should check out Hello lights, they have some pretty good prices on all of their fixtures. from the looks of it you could fit at least 3 possibly 4 24 inch fixtures and you could stager them to have complete coverage.