Diatoms... then what?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ShadowSurgeon, Feb 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ShadowSurgeon

ShadowSurgeon Plankton

I've been cycling my tank for a little over a week now.

I've got two raw shrimp in the tank to speed the process.

Right now, most of the tank is coated in a light golden/brownish grainy film.
    I'm assuming this is diatomatic growth.

How long should this last?:-/
    What kind of growth can I expect as my next "algae bloom" duing the cycling process?

thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

The diatom growth in my tank lasted a couple of weeks and it covered nearly everything, however it dissapeared completely within a couple of weeks. You may or may not get another algae bloom but I am getting a fair amount of green algae and there are also patches of coralline growing in places.

4. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

You may get hair algea are you using RO/DI water? If not youer going to have a hard time getting rid of it. algeas fed off of phosphates in the tap water

5. ShadowSurgeon

ShadowSurgeon Plankton

yeah I'm using the RO/DI water I bought at the reef store here in town.

I'm really trying to resist the urge to scrape this algae off of my glass.
    Does it matter if I do or not?
    It looks like a booger exploded in there.. but then again the cycling process never was a "pretty" thing.

6. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I used RO/DI from 46 ppm source water down to 0 ppm (on TDS meter) and haven't had an any type of algae in my tank yet. It has just finished cycling.

I would want to check the water from your store and see if you want to continues on buying water from them.