Diamond Goby Suicide. First death in my reef tank:(

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Ryan, Oct 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

I bought a diamond goby about 2 weeks ago to clean my sand up. He did a great job, had it spotless in less then a week.

Last week I went out of town for a few days. When I got back, I did not see the goby, I though he was just hiding in his burro. After the 2nd day, I started looking a little harder, and feared that he jumped. :confused:

My stand is kind of unique in that the tank is completely encased in the stand/canopy. The stand and canopy are connected in the back to hide all of the plumbing. There are only 2 spots he could jump out of the water at and he found one of them.

I was planing on covering those 2 spots with screen, but did not get to it before I went out of town. I didn't think it would be an issue either because I never saw the goby leave the surface of the sand. :cry:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

That sucks. I've had mine for about 2 weeks also. I love to see him go at it with the sand. Those fish are great! Whenever, you decide to get another fish......go for the same one! Just cover your holes first.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Are you it was suicide? Do you watch cold case files? I would ask around maybe the tankmates didn't like him.

5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

am with you on this one AV8 ::)

3 wk ago my watchman did a fly boy act, and my cat got a new toy all at once :(

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

i bought a diamond and it didnt make it through the first night same issue

have 2 dragon goby's though, 1 in each tank and they do great, same job different look and a bit more personable, doesnt seem nearly as skittish.

sorry for the loss though

7. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

Sorry to here of your loss, I have a yellow watchman--love him. He is so small that he doesn't clean much sand--he also never leaves the bottom.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sorry for the loss. I think someone chased him out. luna

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I always wonder.. I think that maybe they think there's another pool of water on the other side or something.

11. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

why shouldn't they.....the ocean is endless to them.;D lol Sorry for the loss.

12. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

I think you may be right, Luna. My starry blenny and blue tang didn't care for the him very much. They would chase him around a bit, and tip at his fins. Every time I saw it happen, the goby would zip into his burro. I never saw him leave the bottom 2" of the tank though.

I went to my LFS (Seahorse in Portland, OR) to find a replacement. They had several gobys in stock, but I want another diamond. They are going to hold the next one they get in for me!