DI/RO set up!

Discussion in 'Air, Water & Ice' started by Bluestag, Aug 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bluestag

Bluestag Fire Worm

I have a Typhoon 5 stage 75g/h DI/RO Reefkeeper. I just installed this system last month with all new cartridges, then I checked TDS it's read 0 from the beginning but now I rechecked it read more than 150 TDS (I'm doing water change 30g every weeks). I do not know why it's reading so high. Maybe I set up this system is not correctly. I need your help
    I"m wondering how much pressure do I need to get the water inside the DI/RO.
    How do you set up the 5 stage from the 1st to 5th stages? 10 micron sediment filter, 5 micron Coconut Carbon Black, 1 micron Coconut Carbon Black, full size vertical color changing DI Cartridge.
    There are two valves connect to the membrane stage. Do I need to close those two valves all the time and when I open to flush the water out?
    Normally with the 30G water change I'm wondering how long should I change the DI cartridge. This system I'm using for water change only not for drinking water.

Thank you in advance.
    Tony

2. Click Here!

3. airwaterice

airwaterice 3reef Sponsor

The minimum pressure we recommend operating it on is 40 psi. Do you know what your water pressure is like?

The 5 stages are setup like this: 10 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon block, 1 micron carbon block, RO membrane and finally, the DI.

The valves next to the membrane should remain closed while making RO water. If you're using this unit only once a week, you should open those valves to flush the unit before making RODI water.

Test the following water:
    RODI
    RO Only (before the DI)
    Tap

In that order. We want to see if this due to a bad membrane, low pressure, or just simply bad water to start with. Let us know what you find.

4. Bluestag

Bluestag Fire Worm

Thanks for the information. The max water pressure I have is 60 DPI. I might change a completed new 5 stages cartridge and new membrane. Btw, do you recommend which one I should get them from you?

Thanks,
    Tony

5. airwaterice

For the four bottom filters, you can simply get a T-pack from us. The RO membrane should be the 75 GPD version. If you need anything else, let us know.

Regards,
    Don

6. Bluestag

Bluestag Fire Worm

Thanks for the helpful information.
    Replaced all the cartridges today, turn on the maine valve to let the water in. After I ran couple minutes then I opened the two valves at the membrane to flush the water before I start making the RO/DI water. After I closed the two valves at the membrane, then I do not see any RODI water coming out from the main line as well as the waste water. I noticed the pressure gauge valve didn't have any pressure. Let it run about 15-20 minutes I didn't see any RODI water coming out and no pressure at the gauge valve. It's so wired! Please help me I didn't know what happen.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tony

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  7. Bluestag

Bluestag Fire Worm

I need help! I'm wondering if some one tell me what happen with my RODI water system since it didn't have water coming out.

8. Click Here!

9. Bluestag

Bluestag Fire Worm

I found the problem!

10. airwaterice

What was the problem?

11. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

I have this same setup, just got the dual TDS meter and my TDS in is 314 and my out reading is 32. Is it best to have the number close to 0 as possible? This last month I have been having a slow decline on coral growth so i was concerned about water quality.

If you could provide some feedback if it is necessary to replace the cartridges and which ones would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

12. airwaterice

Hey-

Where is the TDS meter plugged in? If it's before and after the entire unit then it sounds like you may just need a filter change. You'll need the T-Pack:
    Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Aquarium Ro REPLACEMENT FILTER PACK

If the TDS meter is plugged in before and after the DI cartridge then you may need a new membrane in addition to the filter package. I recommend the 75 GPD:
    Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | FilmTec Membrane 75 GPD

You can always e-mail or call us directly if you're having a major issue:
    772-461-0256
    [email protected]

If you need anything else, please, don't hesitate to let me know!

Best regards,
    Marissa Mele
    [email protected]
    Air, Water & Ice, LLC
    772-461-0256 (Phone)
    772-264-2778 (Fax)
    Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Products and answers for your water treatment needs.