Devil's Hand Parasite? What is this?

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by Bogie, Mar 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Hey all,
    I've tried to do a little research today, but haven't come up with anything yet. I bought a devil's hand and now last night I noticed on one of the "fingers" something moving around just under the suface of the coral. (It kind of reminds me of those black beetles crawling under the guys skin in "The Mummy", only moving much slower). Whatever is under there is releasing a few 3 to 4" long silk-like threads - maybe trying to eat? I have a pick of the bump on the nearest finger.
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone have an idea what this is? Is it just part of the coral or some kind of parasite? What to do? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

flat worms? did you dip the coral b4 you put it in your tank?

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

No, should I take it out for a quick fresh water dip now? I know fish can do 1-5 minutes, but how long for a devil's hand coral? And do they need some 'stress zyme' in the water? I'll be using tap, b/c it's very good pH where I live.

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Like I said in the pm, I wouldn't fresh water dip. No stress zyme either.
    Did you just buy this? did you acclimate it? It's not open yet... maybe it's the tentacles coming out???

I'd honestly wait a few days to see if it grows or moves. It may go away on it's own...