Devil's Hand Leather Crash

Discussion in 'Frags' started by RichardinMa, Dec 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

A few weeks ago I fragged a couple leathers- a finger leather and devil's hand. The frags I got off of each are doing well. The finger parent bounced back after a couple days of pouting and is doing great. The parent devil started to swell up again after fragging but then collapsed down again. About a week or so of a generally flacid state I noticed that it looked to be melting near where I cut it. I removed it from the tank and rinsed off the bit that was melting away, dipped it (reef dip) and replaced it to the tank. A few days after that I noticed more decomposition in areas that had not been cut so again pulled it, clenaed it and dipped in a Lugol's solution, replaced it in the tank. After a few more days it became obvious that I was going to have to try to frag off what i could so last night I pulled the coral and cut off 7 pieces, all about 2", and they felt nice and firm. They slimed up a storm and were soaked in a dip for about 15 minutes. I mounted some on plugs with a loose rubber band, others with thread through them and others I just let lay loose in the tray. Today, all of the frags are crashing bad and look to be a total loss. I am not sure what could have happened here. The original frags I did are still fine and the fingers are too. The parent finger looks terrific.

The devil's hand was about 8" across and about 5" high fully inflated before fragging. I took just 4 lobes about 1.5"-2" long when I fragged- cut from two spots. Overall it looked like maybe 10% of the parent. Flow was good for both the parents and the frags. Are devils hands more prone to problems than other leathers?

2. Click Here!

3. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I've had similar things happen with other types of leathers. Although they're generally hardy and easy to grow, they can be very unpredictable.

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I havent had any issues with my devils hand its the size of a football, but i fragging its really my special so i only cut on piece off.