Desperate measures!!! Fed UP !!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Crabby Jim, May 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I have decided to just go for it I turned my lights completely off on Wed night and I havent fed the fish since then I don't even care what I lose at this point I Need to get rid of the green hair and maidens hair algae. I did a 25% water change on Thursday and I am doing another 25% on Sunday night. I also added a phos-zorb bag to the sump. I also went in and manually removed whatever I could grab. I will update the progress.

2. Click Here!

3. Mikachase

Mikachase Astrea Snail

:( That sucks, sorry.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hey dude, you may not care what you lose "at this point"...but I do. Get fish/corals out of tank and put in another "clean" one for time being. Small one cheap one from Petco will do. Use newly mixed water. Clean coral base rock throughly.

Get all rock/sand out, nuke it in bleach...or get rid of it and start from scratch with new.

Overfeeding may not be only issue.

:-/

5. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

This is the perfect time to start from scratch and learn from our mistakes. That's how I felt when I restarted my 120g.

I know the frustration you are experiencing. Hang in there and good luck!

6. matt s

matt s Flamingo Tongue

If you're going to let everything go to start over can't you give away your livestock to somebody else rather than letting them die a nasty death?

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I agree man, dont take it out on the fish and corals. I know excactly what your going through(the frustration), but hang in there, reefers are not quiters. I have forgotten if it was asked already, but what are your Po3/4 and No3 levels at? Is it close to any kind of sunlight? What about flow? When was the last time the bulbs were changed out? Stick with the phos-zorb, it will not get fixed in one day. Patience my friend, patience. Luna

P.S. I like to use this product b/c you get both regular carbon and phos protection. Like the label says, Pure Complete.
    [​IMG]

PURA Complete 32 oz.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Like luna said "reefers are not quitters". Take this opportunity to learn more about the hobby and share "do's" and "don't do's". There is a problem somewhere and there's also a solution. What are your parameters and regular maintenance habits? Wev'e all been in the same situation one way or, another. Let's get started on getting this thing squared away. Pull live rock and cook it. I've been in the same situation. I removed corals that I thought would die or, be seriously affected with a 0 light schedule. Clean up crew large snails, hares(will need to be returned after issue is fixed) etc. etc. etc. .

10. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Jim I'm gonna tell ya my about my 1st attempt.

I'd wanted to get into keeping a reef for ever and thought im ready (money and desire)
    I'd found a 125 with the stand and the whole sha-bang , you name it .
    it had some fish and a whole lot of LR ( covered with hair algae lol )

At that time i had NO CLUE what i was doing and proceeded to have a hair algae farm
    and buy fish and this and that .
    Needless to say i was having some really bad luck with keeping any thing alive for any amount of time.
    It had the wrong lighting , the bulbs were old and out of spectrum, the skimmer was a
    piece of crap, the sump was a wet/dry (nitrate factory),
    You name the problem / non-aware of it and i had it !.

I gave up for like 6 months and thought every day, the more i thought the more i beccame P-O'd
    ( Im not going to give up i will learn and conqour this and i will have a nice set up just like the ones i see in those over priced books )

1, Jim take a breather
    2, Calm down , back up and control your urge to give up (you'll regret it and you'll learn nothing from giving up )
    3, You love it to much to give up.
    4,If you do decide to give up, you'll just prove to your wife it was ludicrous and a faize that your going thrue.

Most importantly here Myself or any one here don't want you to give up.
    Maybe a suggestion here , pic some one here on 3reef ( one that seems successful at it )
    such as Luna, Omard, Mission, and a host of others here that's to many to name,
    And tag along with them , you'll find you might just do a full turn around and have exactly what you want in a reef .

Last edited: May 4, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Slow down, take a breather and take time to read:

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

By, Adam H. Whitlock

A great "reefing" read for all.

:cheesy:

12. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Yeah bro! im just starting, please don't be discouraging to me..have you try a fuge?
    maybe all you need and leave it's lights on 24/.7... being a reefer is not easy, but ain't
    impossible either take your time and there is a lot of help and people willing to help you!
    it will get better.