derasa clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by skiergd011013, Sep 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

what do you all think of me keeping a derasa clam on my 55 gallons sandbed. my lighting is 4x 54w t5 with 3 ati blue plus and one 12,000k

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

IMO, it's a toss up, it may do fine, but it may not. I've kept a Crocea under 4x54w T5s, but it was way up in my 55. Derasea are less light demanding then Croceas, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I actually kept 2 Maximas under a 4-bulb TEK Elite fixture with 3 ATI's + 1 Fiji Purple. Both were on the sandbed at the bottom of the tank. They both did wonderfully and showed great color and growth. I did also dose additives to keep my ALK/CA/MG at optimal levels.

Since Derasa are lower light clams, I think you'll be totally fine, as long as your extended params stay steady.

5. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I think you would be fine. I have had a Derasa under Biocube lights for 2 months before switching to CREE Led's (total time 7 months). My clam has always been at the bottom of the tank and I do not have sand in my aquarium. They grow very quickly :) and I have found mine does not like a lot of water flow.

Derasa are deeper water level clams so lighting is not the same requirement as other clams. They can be found in water depth from 12-33 ft in the wild.

Good luck they are beautiful.