derasa clam lighting

Discussion in 'Clams' started by tattooedsoul87, Dec 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey all,
    Just had a question on a derasa clam. i went to 2 LFS in my area and both had derasa clams. i have a 40 gallon tank with a 78w t5 HO hagen glo light on it, the first place told me that would be good enough lighting for a derasa but i went to the other store wich i know everybody there and they are one of the more respectable fish stores in my area and they told me the same thing, just to put it high on my rocks. if anybody has any input id love to hear it. just trying to do more research befor i buy something my tank cant support.
    Thanks, Tyler

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

These clams are the lower lighting clams, but they still need it...Does your lighting have individual reflectors? i had a 96w T5HO over my 29g and i could of gotten a clam, but i never got to it..

4. tattooedsoul87

thanks for the quick reply. no it only has a single reflector but i have seen at one of the fish stores they sell individual ones that i can hook into my fixture.

5. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Then the answer is no to the clam right there, your not getting aton of light out of that fixture..You can buy new bulbs that have the reflectors built in, they are just a little more expensive. I would probably recommend getting a new light if you can.

Another is that you find individual reflectors you can buy and just replace your single reflector. You can find them online.

6. tattooedsoul87

ok thanks for the help. would it be ok if i get the individual reflectors or do you think i should just add another 78w fixture

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would add another 78W so you are at 156W total. This will give more control over the spectrum your lighting produces. I would also get individual reflectors for all bulbs. You will be able to keep the clam on the sand.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have my Deresa under a 150 halide in a 36 gallon tank. They LOVE light. They also love sand. I do not think they would go on rocks but I could be wrong.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You are right, they do not have a byssal opening and can not attach themselves to the rock. The live in the sand in the wild.

11. tattooedsoul87

thatnks for the quick help everybody ill get some individual reflectors and mount it in my fixture and get another light. do you think by adding another light would harm some of my soft and lps corals or is there any way to add more light slowly so it doesnt shock my coral by quickly adding another light

12. damon

damon Sea Dragon

start with your second light up a little higher than the original and slowly lower it over time.