Derasa Clam keeps tipping

Discussion in 'Clams' started by SAY, Feb 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I have had this derasa clam for a little over two years with few problems. However, over the last couple of months, it has begun falling over most nights. i normally right it each morning and it is fine during the day but will fall over again when the lights go out. I'm not sure why it has started struggling with its equilibrium and not sure how to keep it upright. It is on the sandbed and always has been. Any advice is appreciated. By the way, it still opens fully while standing up and even attempts to while on its side although it looks a little odd. I'm just afraid of the stress this could cause long term.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think it might be trying to move to another spot. Leave it be and see how it does.

1 person likes this.
  4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I had been having issues with my clam as well. It fell over on its side but was still open so I let it be. The next day it was right side up facing a completely different direction.

1 person likes this.
  5. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Has anything changed in the setup (water pearmeters,flow patterns, new additions, etc)?

Clams close up at night, and it may simply be the act of the clam closing, or possibly something making it snap closed (could even be reacting to the lights turning off too quickly).

Try getting an approprately-sized PVC "ring" and bury it just under the substrate so it doesn't show, then nestle your clam onto it. This may give it a bit more stability, but if it needs to move, it will still be able to do so.

1 person likes this.
  6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try the PVC ring and then leave it alone.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Melarunus might be toppling it looking for snails on its base.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Mine was always falling over also...I put a flat peice of rubble ruck under the sand under it and it hasnt fell over since.

1 person likes this.