Depth of bulkhead?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by geologeek, Feb 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

Hi i have just purchsed a bulkhead that i want to put on my tank this weekend....

Now could anybody tell me what depth i should have it?

The bulkhead is 40mm so surely it should not go completely below the water line but should it be 3/4 or 1/2 way, any advice?

Also this is to flow through my refugium, but i was wondering what sort of volume of water should flow through this, as the main water movement is given by my tunze wave box and three PH's

The tank is 52 gal and the sump 20 gal....any advice?

Levi

2. Click Here!

3. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

Anybody??????

i am hoping to do this tomorrow, so if i dont here from anyone ill just put it 3/4 of the way below water level.

Levi

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How are you mounting this?

5. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

Sorry i missed this!

I have now cut the hole (bit nerve racking having most of the water still in the tank...)

i placed the bulkhead 2" below the water line and brought it back to surface using an elbow with plastic screen on the top.

My only problem is when i turn out the lights the wave machine stops any the sump empties a bit to compensate, so at the moment i cant add an auto top off.

Gives me something to think about this weekend!

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I know what you are saying about the wavemaker. My tunze turbelle pump is on a controller and when I unplug it the surges go away and my auto top off wants to fill to compensate. :p I'd be curious about a workaround here.

Fortunately this only happens when I unplug it. At night it stays at 50% which seems to prevent the auto top off from going on.

Back on topic, most people put notches in the elbow instead of a screen. Probably safer I guess than a screen that could clog. Although you could have the screen cone shaped to deal with clogging.

7. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

I was thinking of taking the light senser off the wavebox and leave it on 24/7 but dont know how the inhabitants will take to that..

but thanks for the advice i will cut some notches into the elbow tomorrow..

i know this is not the right place to ask this but what sort of flow would you have flowing through the sump/fuge? currently i have about 200 gal/hr given that the main water movement in the tank (4'x1.5'x1.5') is provided by the tunze wavebox and three rio1400's.

levi

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

One workaround might be putting your auto top off on a timer and having it off at night. ;)

Dig through the refugium board for posts on flow. Some people go with fast and have good results and others with slow. Seems to vary with the setup and requires experimentation.

10. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

11. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I was just going to ask if your top off was gravity feed or by a pump... Since it's the latter why not hook it into the wave maker's controller?

12. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

at the moment i cant see how to do that but ill have a think on it... thanks for the input.

levi