Deltec Eco Cooler

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 30, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Deltec is renown for their amazing skimmers. But were you aware that Deltec now makes a revolutionary new chiller called the 'Eco Cooler?' Either were we.
    <br />
    <br />
    [​IMG]
    <br />
    Deltec Eco Coolers

Some of you hard hats may know about the concept behind water cooling towers... same with you hard core computer geeks with the heavily mod'd boxes out there. The concept with the Deltec Eco Cooler is the same: "Water from the aquarium is forced to evaporate which draws latent heat from the water thus cooling it down."

"Eco coolers are incredibly cheap to run and are much quieter than a refrigerant cooler. They can be turned on or off using standard temperature controllers.

For example - to achieve 950 watts of cooling:

Refrigerant - 570 watts of electricity.

Eco- cooler - 35 watts of electricity."

<br />
    <br />
    More info:
    Deltec - Aquarium Equipment - protein skimmers, turbo skimmers, calcium reactors, fluidized reactors, kalkwasser stirrers

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL the cooling tower is a good way but not as a stand alone .. Depending on Geographical location . If anyone ever wanted to make one all you'd need is to look at a simple humidifier where the water drips over a pad that a fan pulls water over to evaporate .. Just a water proof box and a fan and a evaporator pad or screen to run the water over and or through. But that would handle most of the peoples systems up to a point.. Ambient heat and Humidity allowing .. I'm not trying to sound like a smart a$$ when I comment on these thing and lighting But 45 yrs in the trade Plumbing HVAC and electrical trades and as a 30 + yrs Class A Mechanical contractor I have seen about everything or installed or repaired it. Just hate to see some one jump on it and think it would work well in the South east Arizona it wold be perfect :) Unless it has a aux. Compressor when the water won't evaporate fast enough to cool any longer.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Regarding that point... on Deltec's site it says:

"It is also possible to use the Eco Cooler in conjunction with a refrigerant cooler, therefore, reducing the size of the electricity bill substantially and being secure in the knowledge that even on the very hottest days of the year the temperature in your aquarium will remain stable."

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

They word advertising stuff to confuse thats why I say anything at all with most of the technical stuff thats ever posted they like to think only hobbyist see their ad's :)

I had a Local N.Eastern Marine Biologist to make mention of how unsafe it was for me to be upgrading to 240 for all of out lighting ballast. As that was more powerful then 120 LOL I told him yes more voltage but 1/2 the amperes and thats what kills you plus a 240 hit will knock you off the wire where as 120 will just hold on to ya . He disputed me he was after all an aquarium expert with a book under his belt ! And I still stay the jury is out on that also LOL But after a few days of Googling it He said It was probably O.K to go 240 :)

6. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

yeah our cooling tower at work is about 8 stories high. I think if you live in a cool enough area for this to work real well you probably don't need it at all. I wonder what ambient temperature was when they ran their test to find their system was so much more energy efficient.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Thats what they don't tell you LOL The SEER rating and or BTU heating loads are done under labatory conditions like with EPA fuel ratings on a cars window LOL none ever get the 25 MPG hwy as they say they will LOL

8. Click Here!

9. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

Interesting, ive ended up opting for a in room ac unit, works fine that way, course i live in washington it rarely gets over 85 degs in the summer here

10. mikemangue

mikemangue Astrea Snail

The Man Is Correct

I have tried several of the IceProbes in my nano reef setup and to tell you the truth they only dropped the temperature approximately 3 - 5 degrees at the most. I live in Jamaica where the average ambient temperature is in the 90F degrees with high humidity. As per Tangster's point the water evap would not be able to cool fast enough without a compressor. Maybe in certain countries or states where the average temperature is in the low 80's it would work fine but i doubt in really hot tropical countries such as Jamaica or Arizona it may not do a very good job. I would certainly like to test this product directly under my conditions to see how it really works.

11. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

stylaster: hey man that clam in your photo.... where can I get a clam like that? Mike I've been searching on the deltecs site and they never mention that it can only go to ambient temps but I can't see how they would get it lower than that without a compressor.

12. mikemangue

mikemangue Astrea Snail

Clam is actually a Scallop.. In Reference To Deltec

Hey TinFury, the clam is actually a scallop. The funny thing is that it constantly swims around in a circle whenever a hermit crab or anything touches it. It's actually quite funny to see it in action. You can find them down in Port Antonio or near the coral patches near Maiden Cay. In reference to the Deltec, I don't know how they could get the temp below ambient room temperature cuz I've used the ice probes and they only drop the temperature about 3 or 5 degree lower than what the room temperature actually was on a very cold day. This is why I went out and decided to just buy a compressor chiller instead. Wasn't feeling in the mood to be suckered by ads anymore. My current water temp with the chiller is approximately 78 - 80 degrees. 78 when the chiller turns off and 80 when it turns back on! Before my water temp was way in the low 90's with the lights and pumps running.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2008