Deep Sand Bed

Discussion in 'Sand' started by SyntheticBreed, Feb 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

I am converting my 55g fresh into a saltwater beginner reef and I have decided to run it with a deep sand bed. I was thinking about starting it with dead rock and dead sand. I know how to seed live rock but how would I go about seeding dead sand? How much sand total would I need for a 55g to get a deep sand bed?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Your best bet is to find a local reefer with a DSB that can spare a cup of sand. It shouldn't take more than that to seed it.

I started with a DSB in my fuge, but scrapped it after about 3 months. I wasn't seeing any activity in the sand bed, and I didn't want it going toxic. That said, I didn't seed it either and hoped I would get some activity from the various pod orders I made to seed the rock in the fuge. I ended up dropping it down to a 1" sand bed and throwing in chaeto.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a post by Calfo on DSB's.

DSB article - CALFO

4. SyntheticBreed

Thanks for the information. :)

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

FWIW, I wouldn't go with a DSB.....it can be done correctly but I think it's kind of risky in the long run. 1-2 inches of sand is a good amount and can easily be siphoned. If you do one or even if you decide to go with a more shallow bed, I've read you just need about a cup of live sand to seed the dry.

6. SyntheticBreed

In my last tank I had 2 inch of live sand and whenever I cleaned the sand bed I always took out way to much sand. If I do a deep sand bed correctly which from what Ive read is just to not disturb the sand and don't have anything that eats worms, it should go well. What are your worry's about a deep sand bed?

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Calculators - 3reef Reef Aquarium Forum

I have DSB in my fuge but wouldn't risk it in a DT with more critters. If it doesn't aerate properly and then gets disturbed, it can release toxins that will kill your tank ASAP. Many on here have them and like them, personally, I'd suggest you think and read ALOT before doing it. Good luck though;)

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

10. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

deep sandbeds are a ticking time bomb IMHO

11. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

+1 to what everyone is saying about adding the 1 cup of sand to the sandbed. Also If you can bring a cup of new clean sand that matches the local reefers bed you are taking from it may be a nice courtesy to the reefer giving you sand.