Deep Blue 57 rimless build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by matt2939, Nov 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. matt2939

matt2939 Astrea Snail

Hi there, just picked this aquarium up over the weekend and I'm looking to upgrade from my current 30g setup.

First question - The overflow seems overly large to me. I've attached pictures below. Is there any reason I can't use a razor blade and take the overflow off, then have the sides of the overflow cut in about half, then re-attach with silicone to cut the total size in about half? I mean how much room does the overflow need? Just enough for the standpipe and return?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like an exciting build.

Actually you want a good sized over flow, others will chime in but for now I would not make any changes to the over flow.

4. matt2939

matt2939 Astrea Snail

Well decided to decrease the size of the overflow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will work on siliconing it back next.

5. Gnu

Gnu Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

We have the same tank. The tank looks sweet all setup etc. I would of left the overflow though. I found it that you need to room for dual return and the drain. Plus putting your hands in there is not the easiest thing to do. If you got the bulkhead kit with it get some different bulkheads. The ones that come with it suck.

6. matt2939

matt2939 Astrea Snail

I'm hoping once set up I won't need to put my hands back there. Could you explain what's wrong with the bulkheads that came with it? Would Lowes carry bulkheads that would work as a replacement?

7. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Nice idea cutting the overflow. I can't promise you won't run into problems, but I have the same tank and that huge overflow mucks up the flow throughout the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. matt2939

matt2939 Astrea Snail

Does anyone have any insight into a Nautilus TE Protein skimmer?

A local guy is offering to sell that skimmer, a 30 gallon sump, mag 7 for skimmer, mag 9 for a return, and a handful of frags including sps. Would this be a good deal to jump on?

I need a sump, skimmer, and return pump - so this would cover all those needs. Any insight is helpful.

Thanks

10. matt2939

matt2939 Astrea Snail

Oh sorry forgot to add price. He's asking $150. Good deal?

11. affordable Aqua

affordable Aqua 3reef Sponsor

I once bought a used 300 gallon which came with a Nautilus skimmer. I never used it on my tank but I used it to skim 350lbs of stinky cycling live rock. It pulled lots of skimmate out, but was susceptible to overflowing at times. All in all, I think its a decent skimmer for the price you are getting it at. I dont think its a skimmer you will want to own for ever though.

12. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Gutsy move cutting the overflow before you build your pipes, looks better than the before, hopefully it works out for you.