DeeBee's DeepBlue 57 build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by DeeBee, Sep 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee Astrea Snail

Hi everyone. So I bought a Deep Blue Edge 57 rimless a few months ago and am now getting around to making some progress. Although I favored the now defunct Oceanic Illuminata the DeepBlue is actually pretty nice with thick 1/2" glass and low iron on the front pane. This will be replacing my current tank which is a 36 gallon bow front reef tank. I didn't get the reef ready version because of the insanely large center overflow that everyone complains about. Instead I will be going with with a Glass Holes 1500 version.

I completely forgot to take a pic of the tank before I starting working on it...oh well. :-/

So first up is drilling the new tank. Don't worry, I'm not drilling the tempered front. For some reason DeepBlue put the brand sticker on the back of the tank.

One hole down, two to go:

[​IMG]

And now the tank has three nice holes ready for the Glass-Holes 1500 overflow and the 3/4" return bulkhead.

[​IMG]

I decided to go with the larger 1500 overflow to give me some emergency redundancy with the additional 1.5" drain which had always been a concern in my other tank:

[​IMG]

Stand in progress. This stand will be 42" tall to allow direct viewing without having to bend over. The bottom board is just to provide a level surface for the build... not part of the stand. ;)

[​IMG]

More to come...

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

looking really nice! what are your plans for the tank in terms of livestock? Do you still have your 36?

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Great work.
    I dig that size DeepBlue tank.

5. DeeBee

DeeBee Astrea Snail

I decided to go with Marco Rocks Key Largo dry rock for the new tank. 55lbs worth and also purchased the E-Marco 400 mortar to hold it all together. There is a little bit of a learning curve with the mortar to get it to the right consistency. You also have to learn the best places to adhere it where there is a good ratio of minimal visibility to structural integrity.

Anyway, my cat is OBSESSED with the rock. The rock was in the living room floor for around two weeks and he would lay next to it, sleep next to it and at times lick it. Maybe they embed catnip into it.

[​IMG]

The MarcoRocks logo is a black cat... coincidence???

[​IMG]

6. DeeBee

DeeBee Astrea Snail

Thanks!

I will be transferring all my coral (mostly LPS) and livestock from the 36 into this tank once it is cycled. I decided against reusing my existing rock and sand so will be pretty much starting from square one getting the new tank established and stable.

7. fishflakes

fishflakes Astrea Snail

Your cat wants to aquascape! My dog has been intensely watching my tank this week, so funny. Nice size tank and awesome job on the stand so far.

8. Click Here!

9. DeeBee

DeeBee Astrea Snail

Finally making some progress! Now for the hard part... letting it sit and cycle. :-/

Stand is finished except for the doors.
    [​IMG]

Plumbing from the Glass-holes overflow and light mount.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dustin71

dustin71 Astrea Snail

sweet nice work on the stand ... looks great !

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

looking good! making progress! I like the scape....

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sigh, I need a rimless. It's beautifully done, I must be a complete hobby nerd when I consider an empty tank to be attractive.