Decorator Crab?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by keifer905, Oct 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. keifer905

keifer905 Peppermint Shrimp

In a 75 gal with 1 B&W ocellaris pair, 3 cleaner shrimp, 1 red banded pistol shrimp, 1 flaming prawn goby, 1 blue spotted jaw fish, and probably polyps, sponges, anemones, tunicates (maybe)
    Could I have a decorator crab? I like the camoflauge idea. Why are they listed as semi aggressive? Is it because they take up pieces of sponge, anemones, polyps, etc?
    THANKS

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Nope, its because they eat fish.;D

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I had a decorator crab. He never went after my fish. Entertaining little guy to watch. He crawled to the top of the rocks, jumped off and floated in the current then crawled back up again. They do take clippings of polyps, etc. but if you have plenty they won't take enough for you to notice.. Mine ate from my hand. He died in my move, but I would get another.

5. UltimateWarrior

UltimateWarrior Spaghetti Worm

No. They will re-arrange things and pick at your other fish and inverts. A FOWLR might be a different story, but never put one in a reef tank.

6. Wrasse Fan

Wrasse Fan Spaghetti Worm

i had one in my first saltwater tank, he hitched his way in and killed two firefish gobies, once i figured out it was a decorator crab i dipped all my rocks in freshwater until i killed him. He was a bit larger then a quarter.

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Wow, mine was much larger than that and he never went after fish. Only soft corals. They're called decorator crabs for a reason ::)

8. Click Here!

9. keifer905

you guys are telling me different things. What do you guys think I should do?????????????

10. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

There are two distinct species. The Spider Decorator crab is the most aggressive and definitely NOT reef safe. As for the other, hit or miss.

11. keifer905

should I go for it guys? the non aggressive one of course

12. keifer905

What is the non aggressive one called?