declawing a crab?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jokaz82, Jul 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

guys it just a crab they put the in boiling pot of water when they are still alive i think thats alot worse than taking a claw off .we take the claws off all the time at work so that we can use them in the touch tank and they can eat just fine. when i go diving i find crabs and all kinds of crustations missing claws and lims. i understand where some of you are comeing from but theres alot worse things that we do to more senstive animals that must hurt alot more like de clawing, cuting ears or the tails of dogs.animals are highly adaptible animals and can survive with all kinds of problems

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Too true.

I bet people dont complain about that when they are eating a nice scrumptious crab

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

No they don't.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

[​IMG] Boiled crab, crab cakes, crab salad......[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. jokaz82

jokaz82 Fire Worm

The crab is doing quite well & it does NOT need its claws b/c the have 8 others to pull food to its mouth parts. :cheesy: Yay! it can eat!

A study done shows that missing claw does not increase mortality very much at all. This study was done b/c it happens naturally & in the fishing industry. I'll post it later so you may read it if you want.

I did not go to get this crab. it was in a barnacle that a snail I wanted was on when i was diving. But it seems that ppl think I should just freeze/flush it rather than keep it. As if it was not going to happen if it was attacked, accidently caught in a net, etc.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I had a pig with 3 legs once
    a friend of mine asked me about it
    I told him - this is a very special pig and told him why

one evening the house caught fire the children where all asleep upstairs
    the pig realised this and with its head, smashed down the door ran up the stairs
    dragged my eldest daughter out of bed and down stairs to safety
    the pig made 4 more trips, saving all 3 children and my wife and I

my friend then asked me "does that explain why the pig has only got 3 legs?"

I replied "No, silly, when you have a great pig like this one, you dont eat it all at once"

Steve

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

that is way too funny!;D

I do agree it is "just a crab" and I do apologize for my comments earlier! I read more into the post then I should of...... I personally would not remove the claws of it...I would have placed it in the sump! The claws will grow back when it molts.......I did pull claws off my coral banded shrimp just recently! I was trying to move it when my tank crashed, and did not want to use a net..so I stuck my hand in to catch him and move him to the other tank.......well he grabbed me with his pinchers. I freaked and jerked my hand out of there and he stayed in the tank and his claw came out of the tank with me! He is doing quite well today

1 person likes this.
  11. jokaz82

jokaz82 Fire Worm

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

:hehe: Okay!