declawing a crab?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jokaz82, Jul 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jokaz82

jokaz82 Fire Worm

I have a small juvenile swimming crab that I got from FL when I was catching other things. I know it'll get big & bad for other things. But I have an idea to keep the little guy & be safer for other inhabitants. I think I'll declaw it one or both idk. I got the idea when at the lfs I saw fiddlers w/o their claws. Is this a common practice to declaw? Or have anyone heard of this?

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

it will just regrow when it molts.

4. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

well, im sure it will work. if the crab will still be able to eat and the whole inhumanity of the idea is another question. I'm glad my mom didn't cut off my hands when i was a kid just so i wouldn't pick my nose, i was only doing what was natural

1 person likes this.
  5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

without coming off as rude or snarky, I would say don't do this for several reasons.

1- the crab needs it's claws for eating and defense. It may not be able to predate, but it won't be able to defend itself either.

2- the claws will just grow back eventually

3- it's kinda mean. why bring something from it's habitat and force it to live without it's appendages, even if only for a brief time?

Just get an emerald crab or sally lightfoot if you really want a crab... of course there is no guarantee with any crab that they won't predate on your other livestock, so you could do what many choose to do and go crabless.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It needs them to eat plus they will grow back at molt. If you want to keep it put it in your sump or fuge. That would be best I think.

1 person likes this.
  7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

The only time I have heard of this practice is when you are removing the claws so it doesn't take your pet mantis shrimps eyes.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I have never heard of this practice. it sounds cruel. if you don't want it, please return it to where you caught it. if you can't do that, see if your local LFS will take it.

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Ok, let's grab someone's hand & smash it with a hammer. If you can't have it in your tank with it's normal living, then it doesn't belong in your tank, Period! That's like grabbing a trigger fish & pulling it's teeth.

11. jokaz82

jokaz82 Fire Worm

I found a sci article on this very thing. Portunids can very easily loose appendages (autonomy) & grow back. And the effects on mortality in the wild. Removing one claw= less 10% mortality. The control was 5% mortality. Both claws= 50% mortality. There were many variation between various appendages. This action of removing appendages is also known to slow growth, which is what I want. It can be taken back, too far. fs can't take it, its native & a commercial crab. I like the guy b/c its a scavenger with alot of spunk & unfortunately a predator too. Reef monkey that is an great idea +K.
    I only removed one claw.

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

that is just so disappointing. I feel very sad for the crab and whatever other creatures you may put them through with this practice.