decent lighting. under $200. for mixed reef.

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by banthonyb71, Feb 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I have done some homework on lighting but still need non-technical info. Whats the best brand fixures, bulbs?I would like to stay under $200 and would eventually hope to add sps. My tank is 46g bow. 18" deep.

2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

no offense, but everyone here is gonna laugh. 200 is extremely cheap considering you want SPS. your best bet is craigslist otherwise plan on throwing down 300-400 for decent lighting. (T5 retro/ MH) but hey.. prove me wrong!! haha good luck to ya

4. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

you might b able to do a retro...not sure but 200 is cheap for new lighting...you may be able to diy something or look at used stuff

5. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Out of your whole paragraph, all I got was that cause not sure why people would laugh at somone with 2 weeks experience.

This is an example of what I'm looking for. Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures

I know $200 isnt alot to spend but I know I've seen lighting out there. Just trying to get input on what may be worth trying.

6. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

The Nova Extremes aren't great but a 4 bulb fixture will work fine. They will do better if you upgrade the 2 10k bulbs to ATI blue+

7. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

IMO your best bet will be craigslist, just be patient, key to this hobby, and im sure you will come across as awesome deal. If you are looking to buy new, your not gonna find anything GOOD for 200 bucks. You could also check the for sale section here on 3reef and make a deal with somebody or often some fish stores have used stuff. I got my set of 2 175watt metal halide pendants w/ 2 pfo ballasts and bulbs (which I had to change to my liking, another 150 bucks or so) for $300 off of CL. Its a good idea to go ahead and get the lights for sps now instead of upgrading in the future but take it slow, start w/ the softies and good luck with the lights, all the best

8. Click Here!

9. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

If I where to go over $200, what fixtures are good? I wish I had $300-$500 to spend but even if I had the funds, it still would be hard for me to see dishing out that kinda money on a 46g beginner tank.

10. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I found a 48" odeyessa fixture on ebay for $350 it has halides, actinics and moonlights but I got lucky!

11. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

I would say T5, you might be able to find a retro-kit for around $200 w/o bulbs... Don't cut corners on the bulbs though, spend the money it will be worth it.

12. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Like this one for $329?

Odyssea Metal Halide System