Dead Clown

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reefermadness420, Oct 5, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefermadness420

reefermadness420 Flamingo Tongue

the damsels showed zero aggression towards him i sit and watch them for hours at night with my 16 month old son and the damsels acted like he wasnt even there when i first moved him in he was actually chasing tge damsels which are a little smaller than him

2. Click Here!

3. reefermadness420

and his gills did seem swollen. could a ocellaris clown be killed by a long tentacle anemone?

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Four hours is way to long but I would bet disease a more likely cause of death.Ich usually attacks the gill area.Stress makes it harder for fish to cope with disease. Clowns are more likely to attack Damsels then the other way around. Check the salinity of your lfs water when purchasing. If it's close then floating the bag for fifteen or so minutes and releasing the animal is fine.

5. reefermadness420

so now what do I do as far as the rest of the stuff in my tank?

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Absolutely, yes. Temp, pH, and salinity shock can most definitely be fatal, and it can take up to several days for a fish to die. Unfortunately, many of the fish we acquire are still wild-caught, and in too many cases are also severely mishandled during capture and shipping. One LFS I recall in particular from just a few years ago ran a "50%-off" fish sale every Monday, the same day his order came in. He was constantly flooded with complaints over fish deaths and finally went out of business after only a couple of years.

7. reefermadness420

I will never go to the store I went to again my friend recommended it there was at least ten clowns in a 20 g tank

8. Click Here!

9. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Acclimation for me was key in keeping them alive. I pour the LFS water and fish in a bucket then use a long airline tube with a knot on one end and let it drip in the bucket till full. Then I scoop just the fish out and put him in with the lights out. So far it's been very successful for me. I used to use the floating bag method with little success. It most likely was stress. Just think if the LFS store received the fish that day then turned around and got bagged up again to go to your house. Nemo was gansta. Not all clowns are created equal.

10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Sorry to hear he didn't make it.

I would think either disease or stress.