DC Pump Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Zgetman, Jul 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I have been trying to decide whether or not to get one of those Jebao DC pumps. I have heard that the rating on the side of the box does not represent the accurate values. I have decided that I would give the DC 6000 pump a try and review it to get an accurate amount for those wanting to know. Is there any other information you guys would like to know about the pump when I review it?

I would like to start doing reviews of different aquarium equipment but since I do not have an extensive budget they will be limited to only what I buy unless I am donated equipment to review.

I plan on buying the pump in a few weeks and I will keep everyone updated with pics and a video when I get it.

floydie83 likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

I bought one. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but from what I understand they are really good just don't have the reliability of the more expensive pumps.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I think Gcarroll said it best when he said I wouldn't recommend a Jebao to my worst enemy.o_O
    JM2C;)

5. floydie83

floydie83 Flamingo Tongue

I just bought one as well. Seems like a good deal...lets hope! $121 on amazon.

6. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

my question is. Why are they unreliable?

7. floydie83

floydie83 Flamingo Tongue

I agree...I've heard nothing but great reviews recently. Maybe they have gotten better?

8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Is the reliability issue because it was made in China, or because they are new to the industry?

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

They are not new to the industry.They have been building pumps for quite some time.I am all for saving money but cheaply made products are not a new concept.Most of us have been burned by them at one time or another. Of course ALL equipment is subject to failure which is why I recommend pumps/companies with good track records/customer service.Return pumps and ph's are pretty important pieces in your system. I sure hope they have improved there products but only time will tell. Looking forward to some honest experiences and your review.;)

Billme likes this.
  11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I have the black Reef Octopus Jebao DC5500.
    The black Reef Octopus versions are made by Jebao. A Reef Octopus rep told me they have had a lot of problems with the Jebao pump and have stopped using Jebao. If you look for a Reef Octopus DC pump now you will notice they are now white. That is the new version. Not sure who makes it but it is suppose to be a different pump.
    As far as mine. It has been running only 8 months and I do l like it , it's super quiet..but I can tell the plastic is very cheap. Time will tell.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  12. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

The problem that I've read multiple places is that after awhile they will just stop working... Not exactly something you want to happen to the main life line in your tank...
    I'd rather spend double the money on something I know won't crap out on me in a year and most likely when I'm out of town and can't fix the issue