Davis and Candy Cane

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by KristaJ7267, Dec 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KristaJ7267

KristaJ7267 Plankton

Just bought a favia frag about a week ago. Colors still look great but I have yet to see tentacles. I have LED lighting in a 55 gallon and its about 1/4 way up (I had it on floor of tank but conch kept knocking it over). I just checked the parameters:
    ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate <20 (working on that)
    calcium 440
    Alk....oh I need to test...post right back.

How long would it normally take to acclimate? Also I have NEVER seen candy cane tentacles. Its colored up and growing heads but I never see it feed? I shut off pumps protein skimmer and even the filter to give them a chance to grab it. I also feed my over zealous cbs and cleaner shrimp to keep them busy beforehand so they dont grab it.

I will post ALK in a minute.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Mine rarely feeds. It will get most of it's needs via light. Odds are, it's polyps are out while you're in deep sleep.

Set your alarm ;).

4. FishThumb

FishThumb Astrea Snail

Mine opens up at night

5. KristaJ7267

KristaJ7267 Plankton

Ok.

Serious correction to the above parameters.

My alk is at 12
    I retested calcium (I have the master reef tester kit) and once I hit 40, yes 40 the water still was light purple. Does this mean I am assuming this means I need to add calcium? Or decrease it? By adding calcium do I run the risk of increasing alkalinity to dangerous levels? I tested calcium just about 2 days ago and it was 440 (yeah so by saying I just checked parameters I obviously had not just checked the calcium.

Please help!

6. KristaJ7267

KristaJ7267 Plankton

I just reread my title lol. Favia not Davis. I hate spell check.

Anyhow i seemed to misplaced my phosphate test card but its a faint faint faint yellow (my son cleaned out my cabinet yesterday...hope he didnt throw it out!) Im gonna bring a water sample to my lfs tomorrow to make sure I am getting correct readings and if not I will invest in a better test kit. Anyhow any answers to the above calcium question will be appreciated. I will not dose calcium again until I hear from u guys or the lfs.

Thanks!

7. KristaJ7267

KristaJ7267 Plankton

So this is what I get for testing water parameters at midnight. My calcium is 420. I was adding 1 drop of the first solution instead of 10 lol.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So things look good. I wouldn't worry about the LPs not putting out their feeding polyps.

10. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Agreed- they don't have to be fed, but certainly it can help with growth. I can get a feeding response from mine by feeding something it likes- such as reef chili