damsel stirring up sandbed

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by skoh, Aug 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skoh

skoh Plankton

Ok, so I got this little problem. I love the litte guy but I think he may be heading back to the LFS, and here is why.
    HE IS CRAZY!
    Ok so I found him in my 5g refuge, somehow he got in through the overflow and the filter pad. So that was no big deal I just scared him out(sat there for atleast 30 min).
    Now what he does, is he stirs up the sandbed and tries to find or looks like he is trying to eat the sand?? I feed him 5-6 times a week. Am I not feeding him enough, you think it's becuase it's hungry. isn't stirring up the sand bad for the water chemistry? So many questions

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Some fish do funny things. why?:confused:

But is part of the fun of watching them and learning their individual behaviors. ;D

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Damsels are in the same family as clowns so they often exhibit similar behaviors, like nesting in anemones and stirring up sand :) It's annoying but unless you have a deep sandbed or if your corals are getting getting covered in sand, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

My hubby's damsel does the same thing. Very annoying but funny!

6. chrisinmd

chrisinmd Astrea Snail

my damsel does the same thing i wake up some times and there is pot holes in my sand bed my clown does it to i think its funny

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Big Blue(as I call him) does the same thing. I just wonder who moves more sand around in the tank, him or my engineer goby!!! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I just found out my Big Blue is a Blue/Green Reef Chromis. I had him ID'd at Live Aquaria. They are kin to Damselfish. I found out this interesting tidbit about the fanning of the sand....

Male Damselfish take on the family duties of preparing the nest for spawning, guarding it against potential predators and ventilating the fertilized eggs by fanning them with his tail fin.

Maybe yours is a Male? Whether with or without a mate, he may be fanning the sand for that reason. Could be pretending or the natural instinct kicking in...
    very interesting! :)

10. Warsaw

Warsaw Plankton

My Damsel isnt to bad. He will kick a few things up now and then but the worst fish I have ever dealt with is my diamond goby. He will cover my corals and live rock and move all my sand around. Need to get rid of him soon