Damsel fish fighting

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Steelers, Jul 30, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

Whats up everyone. I added my first fish last week. A yellowtailed damsel. I just got my second fish today, a three striped damsel. As soon as I releasd the 3 striped in the tank, the yellowtailed and the 3 stripe have been fighting. Will this stop after they get used to each other? Or will one eventually get killed?

2. Click Here!

3. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

You didn't mention the size of the tank, which is very important because they are fighting for territory. That said, damsels are mean bastards, and they will probably fight each other until one dies. Any other fish you are also likely to be abused unless they are even bigger and more agressive. (triggers, puffers, groupers ... not much from the "reef safe" catagory)

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Watch your hands when you put them in the tank too. The three stripes like to bite! It does not really hurt, its like a little pinch, but it suprises you :)

5. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

They are the only fish in a 55. Seems like they the calmed down some though. Thanks for the replies.

6. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

Also, I'm hoping to add 2 clowns in a week or two. Hopefully these fish will calm down. If not, I might have to get rid of them.

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

:) 4 damselfish are tooooo much for a 55! ;D

Here is a link, damsels, clowns, anemonefish....all are quite aggresive towards each other..

Hmm, I cannot get the link to post...go to google.com and type in damselfish

It is the very first link that comes up,it is for Reefimages.com

9 pages of damselfish, they are very territorial!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  8. Click Here!

9. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

Birdlady- I only have 2 damsel fish, 1 yellowtail, and 1 "3 striped". They have plenty of room to move around. They seemed to chill out a little, but are still fighting on occasion. Here is what I want to add in the future
    2 Clown fish
    1 Yellow tang

Will the damsels attack these fish, if so, I might just get rid of them.
    Thanks.

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Clown fish are considered damselfish...I was referring to you adding the two clownfish..sorry, I was not very clear.

You think the damsels you have are mean? What kind of clowns were you considering, cause they are down right territorial. :)

http://www.reefimages.com/

click on "fish" then go down and click on "Damsels , Anemonefish"

There is an extensive list of clowns, damsels, anemonefish...very aggressive fish, all!

11. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

Birdlady- I wanted to add 2 tank breed Ocellaris Clownfish, and also a Yellow tang down the road. I'd rather have the 2 clownfish instead of the yellowtail and 3 striped damsels, so I might just trade them in.

What cool peaceful fish do you think would get along with the yellow tang and the clowns?

12. APC

APC Gigas Clam