Cyclopeeze, DT's Phytoplankton, and Reef Snow! Oh my!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Claic Yuzolt, Jan 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

I have been reading a lot about how feeding cyclopeeze is good for everything in your tank along with reef snow? What is this stuff? I am looking online for it and I see freeze dried and all different types but is it like mysis or is it like DT's Phytoplankton?

Is it better to use one over the other or all three together? I just want to make sure my new hammer and clam are happy! :)

I also want to make everything in my tank grow and show its color to its best ability.

If you could link me to the best cyclopeeze everyone uses and "reef snow" if thats what it is called so I can see what it actually is that everyone uses I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

cyclopeeze is a mixture of vitamin enriched very small organisms similar to copepods. They are very good for your tank, most corals will eat them and fish love them. There is even reports of mandarins eating cyclopeeze.
    reef snow or marine snow is an artificial type of phytoplankton that is supposed to imitate the actual clumps of detrus that fall in the depths of he ocean (>60 meters). Good for filter feeders, clams, shrimp, filter feeding corals, copepods, and other things that catch/eat plankton.
    DT's phyto is actual real phytoplankton and it is alive and growing. Everything listed above under marine snow will eat phytoplankton.

What you feed depends on your types of corals. But cyclopeeze is generally good for everything (fish and most corals)

1 person likes this.
  4. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

I use frozen cyclopeeze and everything loves it. All the feeders on the corals will come out. I put a tiny amount in the tank. Wait a few minutes after all the corals have the feeders out and then feed the rest. Keep in mind I little goes along way!:)

K+ Dingo nice info!

1 person likes this.
  5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I feed cyclopeeze every day. In the morning I put a cube of it in a bottle of tank water to let it thaw. I slowly dump in little amounts of it throughout the day. I can definitely see a marked improvement in growth since I started using it. I have a lot of coral mouths to feed in my tank, so I like feeding the whole tank at once. If you only have a few specimens at this point that you would like it to get to, than you may want to spot feed to keep nutrient issues down.

6. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

To answer your question, cyclopeeze is mostly sold frozen & you'll find some freeze dried. Ever drink freeze dried coffee (hint, hint)? You should be able to buy bars of cyclopeeze at your LFS. I think for you, the cubes would be best (remember tank size) as it'll stay fresher than having a bar sitting in your freezer for 6 or 8 months.
    I've used marine snow before. I believe it is a combination of freeze dried crustaceans, pods, fish meal, vitamins, etc. ground into a meal. I use Coral Frenzy now (spirulina).
    Phyto is a concentration of specifically cultured algae. Lots of Pros & Cons. Some swear by it, others use it. I had the worse algae outbreaks after using it, so I stopped.
    Fish food is like human food. Depending on taste, need, nutritional content, price....everyone is different. There are tons of foods out there & everyone has their favorite(s). Although mostly every reefer will atest that cyclopeeze is standard reef food.

7. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Some years back when Dr Shimek still had his forum on RC, there was an analysis of some products, including Marine Snow.
    Basically, Marine Snow at 99.9% water was the worst of the sampled products and many therefore considered it to be a "snow job".
    It DID however, succeed in making money for those selling the product.

8. Click Here!

9. Claic Yuzolt

So I will have to purchase this from a LFS?

Thanks for all the infro everyone. Glad I read up on it!

Now do I feed this everyday or do I need to feed every other day? Do I drop this stuff in with my pumps still on and my overflow siphon still going?

10. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I love cyclop-eeze. I use frozen bars. Everything in my tank goes NUTS over it.

11. Claic Yuzolt

Do you feed it everyday? Do you feed this on top of your mysis/brine shrimp for your other fish?

Can I feed this with my siphon overflow and return pump on or do I need to stop all of that like I do when I feed normally.

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I overfeed my tank so I feed this every 2-3 days on top of nori and some pellet foods.