Cyclop-eeze containing ethoxyquin

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by hart24601, Dec 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

I just bought some cyclop-eeze and am very impressed with it, but I see on their website that it is treated with ethoxyquin.

The EPA stated in a 2005 study "studies indicate that ethoxyquin is toxic to aquatic invertebrates, and mildly toxic to fish". But I don't have a full copy of that study. I know that dog and cat food makers have moved away from using it and even label food as ethoxyquin free. I don't think that it is legal for human use anymore either.

Sorry if people have brought up that cyclop-eeze contains this preservative before, but I didn't find any search results with it. So what are peoples thoughts on this? Seems strange that this premium and potentially ground breaking food is treated with a substance the EPA says is toxic for invertebrates and fish.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I was thinking about buying some. Now I am not so sure.

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Considering that it has been used for years with no ill effects, I would not expect that the levels are high enough to warrant concern. Remember that this product is also used in fisheries, and also used as an ingredient in many other foods due to it's nutritional value. Hopefully someone like Gresham can chime in as he is one of the most knowledgable around when it comes to food in this industry.

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Concentration matters. With all due respect to the OP, this stuff has earned credibility and respect in the hobby. I'm not about to throw that out until someone with authority offers a basis for treating it with suspicion.

6. swreefer

swreefer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Let me google that for you

"In 1997, the Center for Veterinary Medicine has asked pet food manufacturers to voluntarily limit ethoxyquin levels to 75 ppm until further evidence is reported. However, most pet foods that contain ethoxyquin have never exceeded this amount."

Are you sure that study was done by EPA or may be FDA?
    I wouldn't worry about that - you are not going to eat your fish that consume cyclopeeze don't you? ;)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

It has no nutritional value. It's used to stop oxidation. Oh, wait, you mean CE is used, correct :)

Cyclop-Eeze is sold in aquaculture and used in aquaculture as a feed. In fact that is what is was developed for, not hobbyists.

All US made fishmeal made on a US vessel, by law they are required to use a certain level of approved antioxidants.... in almost every case, ethoxyquin.

Also, if you do a little research, you'll find nearly all commercial fish feeds have it in it. I happen to be one of the few lucky ones that works for a company that has no product containing Ethoxyquin.

having said that, I have avoided ethoxyquin laced feeds for a long time. Within the dog breeding world, breeders have reported numerous issues with etho laced feeds, thought there is no research to prove this. Might be due to who developed its use... Monsanto.

8. Click Here!

9. hart24601

Very interesting. Don't get me wrong I am not saying cyclop-eeze was bad or anything like that. I just noticed the website said it used that particular preservative that I remember dog food makers avoiding so I brought it up because I don't know much about the fish food industry.

10. hart24601

I think it was an EPA study as it's a pesticide too

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Thanks Gresham! I knew if anyone could share more light on this it would be you.