Cycling

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by trent51593, Feb 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Hello im new to the saltwater world and im cycling my tank and i was woundering if its normal to see a high reading (higher than 1.0) of ammonia but when i check for nitrite there is none. The tank has been cycling for about4 or 5 days. Any suggestions, please feel free to tell me all. lol

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The beginning stages of a cycle and its all part of the natural process! It will take time but your nitrites and nitrates will start climbing eventually before all is said and done! Keep testing your water to see where your tank stands in the cycling process!
    Continue filtration but DON'T do any water changes til cycling has concluded!!!!!!!
    My advice to you is to read, research and then read some more and spend alot of time here on 3reef for the utmost success!!!!
    Good luck!

4. MushroomHead

MushroomHead Astrea Snail

I absolutely agree with coral reefer.

DO NOT get too excited and jump the gun on adding things.
    you want to be 100% sure you are finished cycling b4 any additions(maybe damsels).
    my friend added a few damsels about 3 days after setting his 75 up, they r still with us today, but only b/c damsels are really tough and somewhatreally hard to stress out enough to kill lol

5. rudzy17

rudzy17 Astrea Snail

should one run the skimmer during cycling if utilizing Berlin method of filtration?

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yes as it will help clean your water and offer additional dissolved oxygen into your water!

7. trent51593

Thank you for the advice, I do read a lot mostly on 3reef. I dont plan on jumping into things i was figureing on at least a month before i added anything unless test show other wise. But i do also know that i can take much longer than that. I still have to set up my sump and im going to eventually turn it into a sump/fuge in one. Is that a good idea or should i use a seperate tank for a fuge. Also what kind of light do you prefer for corals, I will probably only get one or two anemone or some other easy corals. I was looking at a 260 watt compact flourecent. Any suggestions on other easy coral that are easliy found and hardy?

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

For me testing the water at 5 to 6 days into a cycle is just a waste of a test kits. Let the tank run and Mother Nature will do her job. People that are testing the water that early are trying to see how fast they can put fish in.
    Unless you have some nasty LR in your tank there is no need to have a skimmer going. They pull out more good then bad in the beginning of a tanks life. Also make sure your lights are off because that is just fuel for algae.
    You were also talking about an anemone for your tank, that is the last thing you should be adding to a new tank but it's your money. You should save that until the tank is well established in close to a year.
    If you are wanting to test water you should be checking Ca, Mg, and ALK and make sure those parameters are rock solid.
    Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. You can do a search on here and come up with some real good information.

Best of luck to you!

10. trent51593

No i totally agree with what you are saying. As far as the live rock well i dont have none of that but i did buy some base rock off of ebay and it wasnt in the best of shape i scrubbed it all really well before putting it in the tank and I was figureing that is were the ammonia came from. As far as any coral yes it is my money and i dont have it lol wasnt planning on any coral anytime soon, was just getting an opinion on what others thought. Ok now I know that Ca is calcium correct?? and Mg im not sure on and i know what alk is so no worrys there. Thats about the hardest for me is keeping track of all the chemistry names.

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

when your ammonia ( NH3, NH4 ) is above 1ppm a 20% water change will not prolong the cycling process and keep the stock alive. if NH3,4 is under 1ppm no need for a water change. all other tests can be done for a better tank such as calium ( Ca ), magnesium ( Mg ), alkalinity ( dKH )

NH3,4 turns into nitrite ( NO2 ) which turns into nitrate ( NO3 ).
    toxic levels:
    NH3,4 are 1ppm
    NO2 are 20ppm